Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with a Firestone dealer (in Altoona, PA), he said the Bridgestone catalog lists the Pontenza RE92 P165/65R-14 as 'D' "meaning discontinued".

Anybody else hearing about this?

If this is so, I may need to stock up.

..Bob

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Confirmed. Talked to a Bridgestone rep (in Nashvillve Tn 1-855-388-3726), the RE92 has been discontinued due to lack of demand.

The rep suggested I go to tirerack.com and stock up. I bought 6 to have on hand. $90 each + shipping. (My total $610)

..Bob

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discontinued?

Does any one have a count of how many times in the past these tires have been reported as"discontinued"? Bridgestone always seem to make some more.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I just talked to my local Firestone complete auto care dealer and got the same thing - tire discontinued, none in stock anywhere in their network of distribution facilities.

So..
Following mountain driver's lead, I just bought 6 off TireRack. I think that I'll keep my car for long enough to get full benefit out of two sets of tires. Total came to $607, steep but the tires save me $250 (or more) a year vs. whatever else in the size. The price premium is paid for after only one year, so it's a real no-brainer.

tires-easy.com lists them for about the same price as TireRack and they say 39 in stock.

Get them while you can.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Costco is honoring the Bridgestone coupon now. I just got 8 for $665

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Does any one have a count of how many times in the past these tires have been reported as"discontinued"? Bridgestone always seem to make some more.
Have they actually been reported discontinued, or just out of stock? I thought it was the latter.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have they actually been reported discontinued, or just out of stock? I thought it was the latter.
Spoke with a local tire dealer (firestone) and called the bridgestone company (from webpage) phone number listed in above post, both said same: "discontinued" .

Price vs upcoming shortage?

Costco members may want to order soon. I'm not a member, would've cost $110 to join. Went to tirerack.com. Tires arriving in 2 days.

..Bob

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Just did a quick search of "potenza re92 discontinued". Looks like the G1 tires aren't included...Everything is so vague.

HTH
Willie

·
7,090 Posts
:scared:

Eli on 7/21/2011 said:
They'll have to pry the P165/65R14 RE92 from my cold, dead hands. If it ever becomes known that they're going to discontinue them, I'll buy like 10 sets lol.
Well, couldn't quite swing 40, but 12 should do. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I panicked, too; even though I dont really need them at this time, I was afraid not to get them. Paid $405/4 including shipping at Tire Rack. Said they will be delivered tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
What is currently 2nd to the Potenza RE92 in terms of efficiency? Is it the Michelin? My tires are hopefully good for at least another two years, possibly three, if I'm lucky. CAFE standards are going to start seriously ramping up in the next few years, maybe we will get lucky with some new stuff options out there. Anybody know what size tire will be on the new VW XL1? They are Michelins, apparently. But I don't know the size. My guess is that whatever VW puts on the XL1 might be a good option for us, if it fits.

-Bryan

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
:scared:

Well, couldn't quite swing 40, but 12 should do. :D
Heck, outdone again. I only have 10:(

A serious question, what is the best way to keep the rubber healthy? I have heard that the major enemies of tires are road sludge, sunlight and ozone. I suppose one could vacuum pack them and help with the latter two.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Is that counting the ones already mounted? If so, I giess I am at 14! :p

This is what I found for long term sotrage:

"Apply a very light coat of tire protector. Make sure that any overspray is removed from the wheels. (N?A if unmounted)

"Next, wrap the clean and dry wheels and tires in a plastic bag. Evacuate as much air as possible and seal the bags tightly using a zip strap or twist tie. One the wheels are wrapped, they should be stored on their sides to prevent flat-spotting the treads. It is entirely acceptable to stack the tires on top of one another as shown in the photo to the right."

and

"Storing rubber products in close proximity to DC electric motors can accelerate the rate at which ozone cracking occurs. The commutator of the motor creates sparks which in turn produce ozone."

Not sure what "tire protector" to use. Perhaps this??
Vinylex 1215 Protectant Spray 16.9 oz. (500mL) : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
3,641 Posts
Hoping this sudden consumer rush created a new demand signal for Bridgestone and they will run another batch production as they have done so in the past.

That would mean fresh tires for the rest of us when ours run up their 50, 60, or 80,000 miles on them.

I can't afford to justify the $600 set to collect dust and take up precious space in my garage. :(

I may start to explore other foreign options if Bridgestone really fails to produce these in batches again. I've picked up Dunlops in South America before. They didn't have the "DOT" stamp, but I'd bet my lunch money tnat NO inspection station would ever notice. ;)

·
7,090 Posts
Willie, mind posting where you saw the 165 size isn't included?

It would kinda make sense - we all know that our size of "RE92" is special. I guess they just needed a product line to lump it into.

I still can't believe Bridgestone didn't take what they learned from our tire and run with it. Can you imagine how far ahead of the competition they would be if they would have made a whole line of green tires 13 years ago?

I have two almost brand new RE92s on Insight #1, but the other two cars are in need. So I'll only have 14 good tires after this. :( Still scary! If there are still any available in a month or so, I might pick up more. But I guess it's time to start thinking about the next best thing, which is indeed the Michelin Energy Saver for now.

It's actually fairly ironic because I blew out the front right tire on Insight #3 just last night - hit a curb pretty hard, blew the sidewall right out. Fortunately I think the rim is OK. I was planning on running them through the summer, but they're pretty much down to the wear bars on the edges anyway, so no big loss.

I usually run them until the steel belts are showing. ;)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Tires

Was calling for tires today before I read this. All of this is for Central Illinois. Here's what I was told.

Tires Plus: said discontinued but had 4 in the warehouse for $537.29 mounted and balanced out the door.

Neal Tire: can get them but $121 each. I'm assuming that's mounted and balanced out the door.

Costco: can get them, have to be ordered and paid for up front. $395 mounted and balanced out the door. I think they have a $70 deal going now on Bridgestone tires

Neal is where I usually get my tires, have not been able to beat their price usually. Will check with them again to see if they will match Costco prices.

I actually could use 2 for sure and move my fronts to the back and have 2 for spares. Better get moving if they have actually been discontinued .

·
Registered
449 Posts
OK, geez, I guess it's officially a frenzy. I just went to tire rack and got a set. Hopefully they'll keep making our size.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Willie, mind posting where you saw the 165 size isn't included?

It would kinda make sense - we all know that our size of "RE92" is special. I guess they just needed a product line to lump it into.
I should've mentioned earlier that the reps were looking at 165's and noticed the discontinuation. I also mentioned that alot of owners are gonna be bummed.

..Bob

1 - 20 of 401 Posts