Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing my IMA battery, with everything disconnected and the battery ready to remove, I realized I should have lowered the passenger-side window. Will anything disastrous happen if I re-connect the 12v just long enough to do that?

·
Linsight Designer
3,446 Posts
As long as the thick white cable that plugs into the DCDC converter isn't touching the chassis, you'll be just fine. You'll get CEL lights, but those will clear when you disconnect the 12 volt battery.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Turning on the car may cause the HV contactor to close and charge the high voltage PDU capacitors. <edit> it must have been really late when I wrote this. If the IMA swtich is off and all harnesses to the battery disconnected and battery terminals disconnected and "battery ready to remove" there is no connection between the pack and the PDU capacitors. </edit> The safety precautions section of the IMA chapter of the Service Manual prescribes what needs to be disconnected and wait times for discharging.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to lean toward the side of caution, I'm going to pretend I'm more obtuse than I actually am: Mudder, I see the white cable into the DCDC converter, but I have not unplugged it. Is there a risk of grounding it so long as it stays that way? Sean, I understand theoretically the risks of a charged capacitor, but is the danger to me and as such avoidable by just being careful, or to the equipment, and so requiring the discharge procedure?

·
Linsight Designer
3,446 Posts
If the white cable is still bolted to the DCDC, then you're fine. As Sean mentioned, if the IMA wire harness is still plugged in, then when you turn the key on the IMA system could become energized...

...but it sounds like you've already unplugged the IMA wire harness... so you're good to go. If you want to be 100% certain, post a picture of your IMA bay and I'll let you know if there's any live conductor danger introduced by turning the key on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the IMA harness is unplugged, so I'm going ahead. Thanks to all for the timely advice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watch this space. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Southbound IMA Special
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Reactions: mudder and SD Andy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, from this point the rail is tilted farther up, and the trolley pushes on south to drop its payload on a platform spanning the tire well at sill height just inside the back hatch. Then operator and assistant (aka wife), standing outside, reach inside to grab the handles and set battery on elevated dolly just outside car.

·
Linsight Designer
3,446 Posts
I get it... that car-looking thing with the orange strap dangling from it actually "walks the plank" to the back of the car. Creative!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the sake of my none-too-sturdy backbone, I rejected the idea of crouching in the spare-tire well and leaning over to heft such a weight. And also, I wanted to stop mid-trajectory to disconnect (and reconnect, on the new battery) the grid charger cable, and remove/replace the fan assembly with which it shares wiring, to avoid completely re-installing it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
As Sean mentioned, if the IMA wire harness is still plugged in, then when you turn the key on the IMA system could become energized...
Apparently I was not awake when I read the original post and apologize. The OP wrote that the pack was completely disconnected from the car, so there is no electrical connection between it and the PDU capacitors I spoke of. I think that as long as he did not start the car (IMA motor turning) and enough time had passed that they would remain discharged. Suggesting to consult the manual regarding safety still stands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts