Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble figuring out one thing on the FCD. When I am in Trip A, and punch the FCD button, it dispays a new screen with a double arrow, with new mileage and mpg figures. I have read the owners manual, but can't figure out what this display signifies. Can someone explain this display to me?

Thanks in advance,
Holliday

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think of it as telling me it is recording my MPG 'from here to there.' I don't know what it really means.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
That is the "segment" display. Think of it as a third "trip" meter which is easily accessible for displaying "segments" or portions of longer trips. You can, of course, reset Trip A or Trip B more often than the segment display if you choose.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know its a matter of personal preference, but I use the "segment" to keep track of each individual tank of gas I buy and the gas mileage on that tank. I only rarely use the trip A and trip B, usually when I travel longer distances (for instance, when I leave from Maryland to drive to Georgia, I'll reset both trip A and trip B. When I leave to come home, I'll only reset trip B so that trip A records mileage for the entire trip, trip B the mileage for that leg). I'm sure others use things differently.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Trip B I use as my "gas tank" trip.
Trip A is my "trip" trip. I reset it every time I turn on the car.
Trip FCD is my "highway" trip. I reset it everytime I get on the freeway.
my FCD trip is usually 5 mph higher than my trip A, and I try to keep trip A higher than 50mpg (I have a CVT)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I reset B every time I get gas and I reset A every time I have a whole trip I want to check gas mileage on (or every time I remember, anyway). Most of the time, I use the FCD for each half of a trip (there and back) so I can tell which half of the trip got better gas mileage.

I also use FCD whenever I'm following someone's directions or driving a trip and taking notes to give someone else directions. It is the easiest odometer to reset. Since it shows the continuous gas mileage display, FCD is the normal display for me.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Will M said:
Since it shows the continuous gas mileage display, FCD is the normal display for me.
My Insight arrived that way as well, only showing the instantaneous MPG display (bars along the bottom) on the segment display. I drove it that way for at least a year, thinking it was normal.

But you can turn on/off both the average MPG and instantaneous MPG on any of Trip A, Trip B, or lifetime, by pressing and holding the FCD button, then releasing. It will cycle through turning the MPG indicators off and back on again.

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... ments.html

I now have instantaneous MPG turned on for all my trip meters. :)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
On a related subject, for those of us without a second FCD / Trip button within the dasboard display, does anyone know how to change the instantaneous display from km/l to mpg or vice versa?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Japanese trip buttons

The Silver Streaker said:
for those of us without a second FCD / Trip button within the dasboard display, does anyone know how to change the instantaneous display from km/l to mpg or vice versa?
Christian,

I don't know what buttons the japanese model has. In the US version, there is a dedicated "km/miles" button right next to the trip button. It's conveniently located behind the steering wheel so you have to twist your arm to get to it :cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
... you can turn on/off both the average MPG and instantaneous MPG on any of Trip A, Trip B, or lifetime, by pressing and holding the FCD button, then releasing. It will cycle through turning the MPG indicators off and back on again.
Wow! Thanks. My Insight arrived with all trip meters showing the continuous display, but at some point, it mysteriously disappeared from the A, B and lifetime displays.

Later, I loaded up the 1992 Civic for a 2-week vacation. Three people and all our stuff were loaded. My wife had left the lights on the night before and the battery was dead. No problem. I spun the Insight around and went for the jump start.

For the first time in my life, I crossed cables and blew out the 80a fuse in the Civic. Hmmm. I looked between the two Hondas and found that they had not changed the fuses, so I pulled the 80a fuse from the Insight and drove away, leaving it parked backwards and quite electrically dead.

When I installed the replacement fuse, the continuous display was back in all odometers... for a while. Then it mysteriously disappeared again from the A, B and lifetime odometers. I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for solving the mystery.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks Armin. My Insight does not have that second km/mile button, I am hoping there is some kind of sequence with the existing buttons that does the same trick. Anyone know it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts