Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Over at my site I created a real mileage database area where owners of any car can input tank averages and other variables. There are multiple pages of data organized in a variety of ways. Currently we only have Prius data, as most of the members there drive New Prius', however it would be great to have some Insight data to compare!

http://greenhybrid.com/explore/mileage

G

·
0 Posts
Hi GreenHybrid:

___Are you really sure you want a few high mileage Insighter’s to post that kind of information on your new site? Prius owners overall are a pretty tight bunch and appear to frown upon statements of ones mileage abilities when they themselves cannot achieve the same? It can in fact get downright hostile as John1701a and I have had our own heated discussions about this exact performance attribute in other forums as of late … After looking over those that have posted so far, I think some would be embarrassed by what I receive in the Corolla LE w/ Auto and even one or two by what I have received in the Acura MDX 4WD SUV …

___Good Luck with the site in either case …

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3gk3mzo8][email protected][/email:3gk3mzo8]

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well, he asked us too...

Nothing like a little friendly rivalry, eh? We are all in it for mostly the same reasons.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm sure :) GreenHybrid is not a Prius cult and was created to be a non-biased source of information.

I hope it to be a great resource to everyone -- even the Prius owners like myself.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Greenhybrid:

___The first place I looked was in the Insight forum and I see you making statements about my comments over here? Is your site actually a non-biased information site or something else altogether? What is up with that? Also, weren’t you scolded by an Insightcentral.net forum member just a few weeks ago for making negative comments toward the Insight? Did you finally learn about GHG emissions vs. SMOG emissions and how the Insight rules in the one category in particular? The Edmunds “Up to the Chore” thread is still open awaiting your input. A lot current and future 04 Prius owners in heated debate against this particular Insighter ;)

___On a more positive note, I see a Prius driver added a 75 mpg segment to the database. I wonder if it was Ken1784 or USK (there nicks over at Priusonline.com) from Japan? They are doing some neat Insight type things like warm air mods and radiator/engine bay blocking and such. One of them is using straight N2 as the gas to press up the tires! That was cool …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1n1cgedr][email protected][/email:1n1cgedr]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for coming on over. I'd like to see you as a regular, though you're sure to spark debate (we have an appropriately-labeled forum).

First off, I sure did post about the thread here! Why not? All in good fun. I got a good laugh about it.

I realize there are different types of emisisons and don't believe the Prius is superior in all senses. I developed my site to create a more even playing field and a more unbiased place, unlike Prius or Insight forums.

I haven't been to Edmunds, ever I don't believe. Not sure that I will. Perhaps.

The driver with the 75 MPG segment is Wayne -- not you, though, obviously. He has added another battery in parallel, which you would see if you click on the "detail" button next to his name. Hopefully he'll post the rest of his data, though he only remains [extremely] active on Yahoo. He just switched from the 2004-prius to the Prius-2G group.

I'd love to see you over at my place. I feel like i'm on your territory, here, but that's okay :) I like it here, too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
GreenHybrid,

Interesting form but the numbers don't go high enough for a Insight (limited to 999 miles). I have exceed 1000 miles on a tank of gas numerous times. I once exceeded 1100 miles. I did enter in a trip from Friday for a 94 Civic VX and 01 Prius. The Prius follwed the Civic for 325 miles and got 54 mpg while the Civic got 56.5. I refilled the cars at the end of the trip so I could compare them although both cars still had more than a quarter tank left. Keep in mind that the Civic doesn't have a mpg guage so that is a manual calculation and is subject to fillup variations. The Prius was probably not at its best either as the Toyota dealer had the tires at 26 PSI and 10W-30 oil in the engine. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the thread, John.
Why don't you ever respond to emails? :) Never one of mine.

Will you be adding to the database? *crosses fingers*

Hey, everyone. Respect. He's a celebrity.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Jason,
The email came through and I will enter some Insight tanks Tomorrow (I need to get the gas log out of my car). Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
652 Posts
Jason,
Thats a VX Civic with 235K miles on it. The EPA rating is 57 mpg highway so I was close to the mark. Honda introduced the VX in 92 with the Vtec-E lean burn engine. The Civic has a 1.5L (92 HP I believe) Vtec-E engine. It also does things like cycle the alternator on and off depending on battery voltage. I wish it had a fuel consumption display. Have fun, RIck

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Greenhybrid:

___Wait until he places in his Insight’s highest mileage … You are speaking to one of the true fuel efficiency masters in the world :D

___John1701a, are you adding something?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1hzb81s5][email protected][/email:1hzb81s5]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, I was busy with other stuff lately... some of which you can actually blame this website & forum for.

See, back when I saw my very first Insight back in December 1999, I got really excited and started hunting for hybrid info available online. That lead me to here. It was just a couple of pages back then, but it was more than enough of a spark to ignite the fire.

Now I'm struggling to find a happy & honest way to unify the various hybrid types. They are each quite different and we need to be upfront about that, finding ways to focus on the individuals strengths. (So I choose to disreguard the NON-hybrid reference above.)

Insight especially catches my fancy since it is also a hatchback, like my very first car (Omni) was and my current car (Prius) is. And I'm curious as heck what will happen with it as the years pass on. Obviously, the unique styling will make it much more of an "whoa, check that out" vehicle at collector shows... of which I attend every summer with my dad (a bonding thing, ya know). No hybrids there yet though, except a few in the parking lot.

Anywho, the market for hybrids is about to get much bigger. That's why I'd like to keep an open line here. This is by far the "central" location for the latest on Insight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see your mileage. Very nice. Your car is modified, though :) The other Wayne could beat a normal Insight, too.

By the way, do you think it's clear that "trip time" is the average time of any trip? People won't think it's total trip time for the tank, right?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts