Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I do not see the point in trying to figure out if a picture is real or fake. The result is meaningless, no? And we do not have the originals.

I would say fake. Because when I looked at the picture, there was a smaller 'random' picture on the left of the screen exactly as per yours but saying "58 mpg" and the lower bar of the "8" was as large as the other bars. In your picture, it was thinner. So it looked like you had taken the "58" and made a "68" out of it.

But again, without originals, one can not say if real or not. You need to look at the pixels on a "one by one" basis. And even then one can not be sure.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What's it supposed to be a picture of? Obviously not an Insight dash - see the analog speedometer? Maybe Prius, from the other picture. In which case it might be a real Prius hypermiler shot.

Of course it's what I see on my dash after a couple of really cold & snowy weeks in the winter. Maybe over Christmas break, with driving up the mountain for skiing every day :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mmmmmm...maybe a Honda Civic Hybrid driving downhill ? The Prius looks different isn't it ?

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Prius I think has the MPG readout on that center console screen thingy. I would guess that it's a HCH, but that's just a guess.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Lakedude:

___Take a look at Jinno’s HCH FCD display from July of this year:

___Now look at the FCD of the HCH you posted?

___When comparing to the Trip A readout that Jinno posted vs. the Trip B in your coded picture, the latter is offset? Does the HCH’s Trip B offset above the Tank distance vs. Trip A on yours? If it does, it looks legit? If not, then it is probably fake. 68 mpg over a tank out of an HCH is should be pretty easy to achieve given our previous discussions of such. Rick Reese pulled a 70 + mpg tank out of a 2001 Prius I so it is only a matter of time with the right driver in the right temperatures that an HCH hits 70 +. I wish I had my shot at it from late April through October 1st of this year but I don’t own an HCH w/ a 5-speed … I bet a 1,000 mile tank from a non-PZEV based HCH 5-speed will be achieved by early next year if it hasn’t been achieved already.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2y71tl30][email protected][/email:2y71tl30]

[img]http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/images/esh_home_promofriend.gif

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not see the point in trying to figure out if a picture is real or fake. The result is meaningless, no?
If you say so, you are the mod. The point (to me) was to see if people could tell the difference. It had earlier been discussed and some thought they could spot a fake by zooming in.
And we do not have the originals.
What does that mean? The photo in question is a cropped (but not resized) version of a picture that would be too big too post and would look exactly the same in the MPG display area. The only difference would be that you would see more of the steering wheel and dash, which wouldn't help determine if the picture was fake.
What's it supposed to be a picture of?
My HCH "Inverse Midlife Crisis".
Mmmmmm...maybe a Honda Civic Hybrid driving downhill ?
My current tank was actually at 69.6 after one round trip to the gas station. Cold and rain have drug it down a bit but next summer I promise a REAL picture of my HCH with a tank in the high 60ies or maybe even low 70ies.
The Prius I think has the MPG readout on that center console screen thingy. I would guess that it's a HCH, but that's just a guess.
Yep.
_When comparing to the Trip A readout that Jinno posted vs. the Trip B in your coded picture, the latter is offset?[/quote]The display in question looks exactly as pictured in the trip B area when looking at the trip B meter. BTW I didn't post the images on Insight Central because of this rule:
[quote]5. Please only use images in your posts when you feel they are absolutely necessary (i.e. for your car Modifications). Do NOT post any images which are not of the Insight without first consulting with a moderator or the site admin. If the image is not absolutely necessary, use a link to the image on another server, rather than incorporating it into your post using the "img" function. No image may exceed the maximum size of 450x450 pixels (6.25"x6.25"), without prior moderator approval. We have also disabled the use of images in signatures. Please remember that images use precious bandwidth. Any pictures that are unrelated to the Insight will be subject to deletion. [/quote]

And the verdict is:[quote] So it looked like you had taken the "58" and made a "68" out of it. [/quote]Correct, but I'm not sure how you could tell because I couldn't. It was easy to fake. I just zoomed in and copied the lower left vertical bar from the 8 and stuck it on the 5 as you seem to have guessed. Please note that all my pictures are real except this one. A daytime picture might have showed a square box in the copied area but the night time pic is all black so the lines did not show. I still could have touched up a daytime picture with a slight blur or just did the extra segment one pixel at a time.

My point was going to be to show that you can't tel for sure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yves M.

Did you download the file or just use the thumbnail that has scaling errors?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Lakedude:

___I guess that shows any picture can be faked … And the big question to me then is, why would you want to fake it? The Insight’s have an lmpg which either follows the tank over tank FE or it doesn’t. The HCH is a > 70 mpg capable automobile just waiting to be taken there.

___I was actually hoping you were going to say this was a pic from an HCH owner in AL, LA, or FL with great temps for hypermiling this time of year :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1mmhba8r][email protected][/email:1mmhba8r]

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi lakedude,

You wrote "If you say so, you are the mod" . I would reply No. I am an ordinary member in such discussions with my personal opinions. I can be right or wrong. It is not a moderation issue, where then I try to use a "for the good of the forum and all".

What I meant was, does it make a difference if it is fake or not. One can never be sure anyway.

I had written: "we do not have the originals" because then I can verify in depth. Usually, it is where the digits ends and the background starts that a fake can be found. The shade or contrast is harder to simulate by hand compared to a real photo.

But again, a good technician can fake it to look real at the pixel level, which is why you can sometimes say for sure if is is fake but sometimes when it looks true, it could still be fake.

You can only prove a fake by finding errors, you can not prove a real picture.

I used the thumbnail because I could not get the full size. I supposed that you needed to be a member to access the real thing. I try, for time issues, not to be part of too many forums.

·
Registered
113 Posts
lakedude said:
Correct, but I'm not sure how you could tell because I couldn't. It was easy to fake. I just zoomed in and copied the lower left vertical bar from the 8 and stuck it on the 5 as you seem to have guessed. Please note that all my pictures are real except this one. A daytime picture might have showed a square box in the copied area but the night time pic is all black so the lines did not show. I still could have touched up a daytime picture with a slight blur or just did the extra segment one pixel at a time.

My point was going to be to show that you can't tel for sure.
nice job. i fooled some others with this one i made:

we can only hope, right? or maybe a little drive off the top of a hot hair balloon :p

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sometimes It is more fun if you don't know,. :wink:

As for the 182 MPH photo, nice job artistically but about 4 to 7 errors technically.

Personally I get really nervous when I realise someone was driving 103 MPH with one hand on the wheel, on a public road, trying to compose a camera shot! One spectacular accident would certainly make more people aware of the Insight, but I don't think it would help to promote the hybrid cause. I'd also hate to loose one of our group. I mean the driver of course, but I wouldn't like to loose another Insight either.

I would however like to see one properly modified and professionally tested for top speed as they did with the Prius on the salt flats.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I meant was, does it make a difference if it is fake or not. One can never be sure anyway.
I totally agree, in fact that was the point I was trying to make.

I was actually hoping you were going to say this was a pic from an HCH owner in AL, LA, or FL with great temps for hypermiling this time of year
Fear not, a REAL picture of my current record tank is on the way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.