Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question wise people:

I just pick my car up from GoodYear. They aligned the front, but were not able to adjust the rear & suggested I bring it to a Frame shop for analysis. They provided me with the amount the rear is out of wack, both left & right side. Note: I ran over a curb with both front and rear of car.
Does anyone have any wisdom or experience with this problem? Thank You!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Interesting... we've also had an alignment shop say that they had to put shims in to get one of our rear corners close to spec. Could the suspension be bending or the shop messing up?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I've been told twice (by the Honda dealer) that my rear wheels were out of alignment (maybe 0.1 - 0.2 mm). This spring, after hitting a curb with the left front, I had the alignment checked again (at the same dealer) - this time, everything was within spec.

If my rear wheels were less than 10% out of spec, I don't think I would spend the money to fix it. Or I would let someone else check it.

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear alignment

The Goodyear print out reads:

Left Rear

Min/Nominal/Max/Actual
0.00mm/1.50mm/3.00mm/-11.4mm

Right Rear
Min/Nominal/Max/Actual
-27.7mm/0.00mm/1.50mm/3.00mm

Total Rear Toe
Actual/Min/Nominal/Max
-39.00/0.00/3.00mm/6.0mm

Thrust Angle .64 degrees

They also said their is no mechanism that allow adjustment of Rear Alignment.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: rear alignment

At 25.4 mm / inch, 39 mm is a HUGE amount of toe. And should be "easily" visible. Abnormal tire wear (one edge or the other) will be rapid with this much toe.

There is no factory supplied rear toe adjustment on the Insight. And with sooo much toe any adjuster will be insufficient. Something is bent. :( An alignment shop should be able to make it new again. Its just a question of new vs. used or _possibly_ repaired (don't get your hopes up) parts, plus labor and final re-alignment.

Sorry to read about your "injuries".

Sincerely,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks John. I will keep you posted on what is bent & cost after I take the Insight into another service shop. Do you think I can try another Goodyear shop? The guys where I was yesterday were goons and the engineering of the Insight seemed beyond there comprehension. I was alarmed that they did not notice that the front wheel base is wider than the rear. I imagine another Goodyear station should honor what I have already paid as a second opinion? and try to keep my repair cost as low as possible. I don't want to waste money for another analysis of alignment at the body/frame shop the current Goodyear suggested.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
An alignment shop preferably with Japanese import leanings (probably not advertised or really necessary) is the better place to go.

Judging what is bent and or trying to straighten out the related parts is a highly skilled job. Someone attempting this repair without the required experience will not have the same result. And probably one you won't be happy with in the long run.

IMO The Goodyear, Firestone and the like places are never a good choice for an Insight, their "generalitst". Except for batteries (12v ;) ) tires, belts and hoses I'd avoid them at all costs. Find a local mom & pop Honda specialty shop. The price will be more competative than the dealer and you'll get knowledgeable service. If the've got an alignment machine and do suspension work on other Hondas they may be the better choice in your current situation too :!:

HTH! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts