Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25000 mile car: uneven wear on rear brake discs.
I could see that the surface of the rear discs were unevenly worn and cratered with rust 7000 miles ago when I bought the car.
Having replaced the discs and pads and cleaned the calipers, it juust seems that the issue was caused simply by a build up of brake dust around the shims and clips on the caliper and pads. Our neighbour has an insight which is 12 months older than ours and it doesn't show the same problem.
The only thing I can think of is hat our neighbour's garage does a proper job and the garage which my car was accustomed to visiting , just inspected the brakes and measured the thickness of the pads and discs without actually doing anything in the way of actual maintenance. The pad and discs which I have just thrown away were indeed within normal operational tolerance.
I am wondering whether i shall see any improvement in brake performance or fuel economy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I now have better brakes and improved fuel consumption. I thought that i Was doing well to get 62 imperial MPG but now I am getting an improvement of approx 5% to 65MPG . Haven't noticed any improvement in acceleration since I never accelerate hard, however I assume that it is probably improved slightly.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Sorry bro, the America model has drums on the rear. However the same that applies to front disks should apply to rear. Usually uneven torquing of the wheel studs causes warping.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rear Discs?

Cobb,
Was surprised that those models abroad had the Rear Discs? Wonder why American Version went with drums? Wow!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I had similar signs of corrosion on my rear discs. A few months ago they were found to be binding (the main symptoms being starting with a jerk after using the handbrake and a metallic rotating sound from the rear wheels when driving at low speed). Mine were dismantled and cleaned up rather than replaced. Again, around a 5% mpg improvement after it was done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cobb,
Was surprised that those models abroad had the Rear Discs? Wonder why American Version went with drums? Wow!
I can't understand why honda would vary the specification so widely either.
Somebody at honda clearly thought that americans should have drums and brits should have discs. Are american insight 2s made in a different factory to british insight 2s? Somebody out there must know.

·
Registered
943 Posts
They are all made in the same factory in Japan. Different markets have different legal requirements. TPMS is a legal requirement in the USA - it isn't here. Some aspects are down to market preference. Honda will have done their market research.

UK buyers like large wheels and disk brakes, so they provide them.

I'm hoping that people will start to vote with their wallets on spare tyres and we'll see the silly tanks of goo most cars come with these days become a rarity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts