Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have had a smiliar issue where an impact wrench was used on my poor Insight. At 2700 miles the air vents refused to stay pointed so they thought it a very reasonable warranty claim at the dealership so I had them fix it. Well they quoted me only a fer hours to get it done, but they had neglected to look up how long it would take to replace the part and the car was there all day. Anyways I got it back and everything seemed ok, but I recently had things apart to inspect the work. In addition to breaking the lower and upper plastic pieces that are behind the steering wheel and not replacing them they used an impact wrench on everything. I went to pull the steering wheel off and it took me holding the wheel with all my might and another person with a socket wrench with an extension on it pushing with all his might to break the nut loose that holds the steering wheel on the spline. Estimating it there was probably 100 foot pounds (at least it felt like it) on that little bolt which is spec'd at 29 ft pounds. This was after nearly stripping out the T30 torx bolts that hold the air bag in and I had to replace them the next time it came off. So yeah, it's not just you, this is why I don't much trust dealerships. They try to get things done as quickly as possible to maximize thier profit, but tend to sacrafice quality of the work in the process. Now I wouldn't think they are using an impact wrench on your oil pan but do you really thing they take the torque wrench out every time they change your oil?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.