Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my rear brakes, shoes and drums. First side went fine, but I was in a rush on the second side, and couldn't get the upper spring back in, so decided to attach the adjusting bolt after the spring (like snap the 2 halves into each other after the spring is on). Worked fine but then when I was trying to bring the whole assembly up over the wheel cylinder, I accidentally pushed one side too far and a bunch of fluid squeezed out of the cylinder.

Is there now air in the system? Do I need to bleed the brakes? Not sure how to accomplish that alone :-(

If only the daylight was lasting longer (or I'd started earlier!).. rushing leads to bad things.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would assume some air got in. Gravity bleeding might get the air out. Just let the fluid come out of the bleeder screw for a while.

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
Mityvac.

Sam

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used 3/16" vinyl tubing into a plastic bottle. Worked fine. But unfortunately one of the rear brake bleed valves was stripped (didn't notice until I tried to close it). So it wouldn't close without a using vice grips, and all I had was regular ones so they also grabbed the nipple and prob let some air in before I got it shut. Tried 3 times but couldn't get it closed without the line letting some air in as the vice grips grabbed it. Car seems to drive fine. Wish I had extra bleed valves, would have just replaced it. Time will tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts