Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this on the car? I'm considering ordering it an putting it on myself, but I was hoping to find some pics of it, preferably on a Tango Red Insight.

I'm afraid groceries and other stuff are eventually going to leave scratches as I have the car longer and become less careful or my son wants to "help" :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Anyone have this on the car? I'm considering ordering it an putting it on myself, but I was hoping to find some pics of it, preferably on a Tango Red Insight.

I'm afraid groceries and other stuff are eventually going to leave scratches as I have the car longer and become less careful or my son wants to "help" :)
I have it and it does help. My coworker has it on his 2005 Prius, and the rear bumper looks pristine still, even after 157,000 miles and 2 large dogs :)

Go to the Honda website, click on the Insight accessories link...there is a picture of it on a Tango Red

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that, I was just hoping to get a whole rear view look to see how it affects the look from directly behind. For only $40, it's probably worth it...not sure about the door film though...as long as I'm careful opening doors (and I am) it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just put this on the other day.

It doesn't really look bad from the rear with the hatch closed. And yes it will save your bumper from getting scuffed up over the years by groceries and supplies getting loaded in the back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just put this on the other day.

It doesn't really look bad from the rear with the hatch closed. And yes it will save your bumper from getting scuffed up over the years by groceries and supplies getting loaded in the back.
Cool, the install sounds simple - any pitfalls you ran into?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone have this on the car?
I saw it on an Insight at the dealer the other day – didn't like it. It also seemed somewhat too small to be effective, especially at the bumper edge where it didn't wrap.

Why not wait until you get a scratch... maybe you never will... and then buy the bumper protector to cover it up? Or, keep a thick towel in your trunk to deploy whenever it's time to load or unload items? A towel can cover whatever area you need to cover, and you could even sew in a velcro strip to anchor it to your trunk lining to keep it from shifting. Then, when you're done... no ugly permanent bumper applique or expense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Steven... that dealer might not have installed it right because mine does wrap over the bumper (or maybe mine didnt install it right lol). My applique wraps over the rounded edge and down a little more than a half inch.

My car is black so the applique blends in to be almost unnoticeable. I would recommend it if you have a black or polished metal car... but a lighter color would probably benefit (visually) instead with some clear 3m protector and just replace it if it gets messed up.

I dont have my camera with me, but you can see it somewhat in this picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
well to those who are nay sayers - i put one on my 07 Fit and it got gouged BAD - just bought a new one - cleaned the old one off and saved a great deal of damage / paint repair.
So my new I2 came straight from the dealer's with one installed

·
Registered
96 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
... that dealer might not have installed it right because mine does wrap over the bumper (or maybe mine didnt install it right lol). My applique wraps over the rounded edge and down a little more than a half inch.

My car is black so the applique blends in to be almost unnoticeable. I would recommend it if you have a black or polished metal car...
You might be right. I saw it on a white vehicle, and it stuck out like a sore thumb against the elegant and simple lines of the car. I've never had a bumper scratch by using a towel when loading and unloading, and I think it gives better protection than could any applique.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well to those who are nay sayers - i put one on my 07 Fit and it got gouged BAD - just bought a new one - cleaned the old one off and saved a great deal of damage / paint repair.
So my new I2 came straight from the dealer's with one installed
Mine too.... along with the many accessories I ordered, such as the Door Visors & Door Edge Film, I also insisted on the Rear Bumper Applique. With my HI2 being black, these accessories realy set off the appearance & styling of the car. As stated by 'Arkjones', mine does wrap over the edge of the bumper by approx. 1". I also had installed the Body Side Molding. All in all, I'm really happy with my car's appearance. Gary

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine just came in the mail last week and I'm going to install it and the door edge protectors this week. I was a little concerned at first about the appearance, but after seeing the pictures posted here I don't think it looks that bad. My Civic's rear bumper is so scratched up after 3 yrs/ 40K miles without one that I wanted to keep the I2 looking as good as new for as long as I can. The installation is relatively easy per the directions.

I'm also taking the extra material from the clearbra the installer left me and cutting some sections for the bottom door sills on the front doors, which are often scratched over time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ordered this one on ebay and am pretty pleased with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Covering the edge

Being careful could just mean you raise your packages a wee bit higher when placing or removing them from the hatch. BUT... If you want to spend the $ on a protector I think the ones that extend over the edge would help the most. This is the direction I feel the scratch damage would come from whether leaning into the hatch or dragging a bag into the car. I like the ribbed look of the EBAY one but they do not extend over the edge. I loaded a newly purchased Kenmore 4 burner grill into the back of the HI2 this week (without box) and used a cotton blanket to protect the area just in case I bumped something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts