Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waiting for an opportunity to merge with traffic, and so was the guy behind me, but apparently he didn't see me in front of him!

The visible damage is minimal...almost non-existent. What I'm a little concernned about is what I can't see, under the bumper cover. Are there any technical drawings available online?

If I push on the lower corners of the license plate recess, one side compresses more than the other, suggesting that there is some damage to the bumper. I'm wondering if this is enough to compromise safety in the event of a future collision.

I have an appointment with an insurance adjuster tomorrow (Monday).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Take a look at the void just above the llicense plate. There are two small strips of fiberglass/plastic and I'd bet both of these are broken. Note, you can't see these tabs from standing behind the car. They're located up, out of the way, just above the license plate. Use your fingers and feel for them.

The other month I was rear-ended to and while it happened at about thirty or forty miles per hour, while the airbags did not deploy, the goof caused (so far that I know of) about one to one and a half thousand dollars worth of direct damage; then there's the lost time getting the car to a competent body shop, the rent-a-car annoyance, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Sounds like your damage is purely cosmetic, to the plastic bumper cover. Underneath that there's a fairly heavy aluminum bumper - rectangular tubing about 3" on a side, held out from the flat metal back of the hatch area.

If the sheet metal isn't pushed into the hatch, or visibly distorted elsewhere, then you probably don't have other damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts