Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm struggling with a leak in the rear hatch area just behind where the strut bolts to the shell. I also have found the rubber trim strip round that rear quarter window has started coming away (I would not necessarily have though this would allow water into the cabin) but the glass is bonded so that may not be linked.

I've attached 2 pics showing the area where the metal work is joined. If you poke something in the areas I've coloured blue, it is wet. The rear of where the tailgate strut mount is welded it
appears to be where the water is dripping into the cabin. The top and front of that area is dry. I cannot find any sign of water round the boot seal. I'm off to hose down that rear window after lunch and see if it's coming through there.

Any advice?

I've also had a leak where the seam sealer had cracked on the front bulkhead (the very top outer point of the passenger side bulkhead) this was a fairly extensive dash out job to find, it manifested as water running down the bulkhead into the passenger footwell. That just require the sealant brushing out and replacing with some nice polyurethane adhesive. I noticed the seal sealer between the roof and rear structure has cracked badly, where I've had the headlining out.

·
Super Moderator
8,775 Posts
If it is actually dripping there then wouldn't it leave marks/evidence on the back of the headliner? Anyway, seems you used a towel to find moisture, so sounds right. I'd still suspect a crack under the short seam cover at rear.

I've been chasing subtle leaks in a couple of cars, so interesting topic. Mine and one of a friend.

I'm having a bit of problems with the language. We don't actually speak proper English her in U.S.;)

By "bulkhead" are you speaking of the transverse aluminum sheet between engine and cabin?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I took the headlining out expecting to find some watermarks, but nothing. Ended up working on the other car this afternoon, but might have another look tomorrow.

Bulkhead, yes, a.k.a.firewall, the metalwork that separates cabin from engine bay. And that looked little more than a pinhole in the seam sealer but was letting quite a bit of water in.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
...I'd still suspect a crack under the short seam cover at rear.
Hard to say, but that's also my best, first guess. I'd think it'd be possible for water to leak from that cracked seam into the metal work around the hatch, around where the leak appears to be, and then drip down through that. Just don't know for sure, don't know how that metal work is formed/shaped. Plus, of course, usually it drips straight down the rear quarter window area, I think a little forward from what's depicted in the image. It's around there, though, so close that it's probably the same thing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone post a pic to clarify this 'short seam' to me. May as well re seal it while I'm in there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Willie, yes it does help. Busy tomorrow, but will have a go at that on Wednesday. Honestly the moulding on that side doesn't look well fitted so it could well be where water is getting in.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
^ fyi, when I looked into a slight leak in my car, in that area (under the trim, the seam), as I recall I didn't even reseal it with new sealer; rather, I just cleaned the 'gutter'. Haven't seen a leak since, it's been years and I live in a very wet, rainy place. The gutter can get plugged with gunk, debris, and then I think water pools and can then leak into cabin. Otherwise, it just moves along the gutter and drains normally.

So, in your investigations and potential fixes, consider not going overboard trying to make sure the seam is perfect, such as scraping out all old material and replacing with new. Just a clean gutter and maybe a little silicone or polyurethane sealant in any cracks would likely do the trick.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I managed to get the short seam cover out, it had been stuck in with black rubbery goo. This struck me as a typical DPO modification 'Dreaded Previous Owner'.

So once that was pryed out I could see a definite crack at the rear:

And that rear most lump had a bit of a wobble when poked!!

So I raked the lot out to re-seal it with some polyurethane sealant. Very robust, flexible and sticks like s*!t to a blanket!

It is now just a channel of white goop. So the weather man says it will rain tomorrow morning, so we will see if that was the issue. I will then look to get the trim clips stuck back in place.

I know raking all the sealant out was probably overkill, but wanted to be thorough, just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
So, I managed to get the short seam cover out, it had been stuck in with black rubbery goo.
That would do it. It's funny, once I became a homeowner, of an old home, doing many remodels and repairs, my main intellectual pursuit invariably became 'understanding the physics of potential water leaks'. I soon realized that most water leaks are due to improper drainage and 'shedding' paths, rather than actual cracks and gaps and such. Blocking the gutter with black rubbery goo: it'd keep the trim in place, for sure, but create a pool of water...

I know raking all the sealant out was probably overkill, but wanted to be thorough, just for piece of mind.
Probably won't hurt.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I had a good hour driving to work in the rain and it all seems dry... might chance putting some interior back in over the weekend!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts