Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the rear hatch on my 2006 insight. I need some "insight" as to the path the wires take once they enter the car body at the top of the hatch opening. Thanks in advance. Mick

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,589 Posts
Forward, right side?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wires go into the car body at the top of the hatch opening on the passenger side. Right up in the corner of the opening. I pulled the rubber boot loose and it looks like the wires go towards the front of the car, but I can only see about an inch or two of the wires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wires are about 30" long. There is a black ground wire with a screw ring at the end that is only about 15" long.

·
Super Moderator
1,770 Posts
The hatch harness plugs in near the right seat belt, in the “B” pillar.

You will need to pull the trim off the “B” pillar. This includes taking the upper seat belt bolt out and letting it hang. Then the trim. The harness goes above the quarter glass. You will need to drop the upper part of the quarter trim to drop the headliner to access the ground bolt.

Unbolt the hatch from the hinges, not the hinges from the body.

This is a two man job, sometimes even 3.

Scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the info. The hatch is now in, but I need to attach the wires and put the trim back on. Replacing the hatch brings up a new question. I didn't really examine how well the original hatch fit before I took it off. The replacement hatch doesn't really seal as well as I would have thought it should. There is about a 1/8" gap between the leading edge of the rubber and the roof edge of the hatch opening. And down the sides the rubber doesn't really rest on the hatch opening edge. I is floating above the body work by about 1/16" to 1/8". Could some of you please look at your cars and see how it is on yours.

I shifted the hatch around a little as I tightened the bolts to get it into position. I really don't see how it can be adjusted to fix this.

Mick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts