Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I accidently closed the rear hatch on a backpack strap -- it was late, dark and I was tired.

Of course, as luck would have it, the strap managed to lodge in the latch mechanism.

Currently, the hatch won't open on fob or key (before it did both) and the door open warning light is lit on the dash.

Any tips for a fix? I am perfectly willing to sacrifice the strap, but if I cut it, I am worried I won't get the remnants out and will have an even bigger problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Climbing in and unbolting won’t work. Good thought though.

I would get someone to assist and put the key in the rear lock cylinder and have the assistant rotate it to the right as far as possible about 90 degrees so the lock is unlatched and while holding the lock cylinder in that position, I think you will have to use 2 hands and pul very hard up.

Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. No percentage in trying to yank the strap out?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success. Didn't require an extreme (or even moderate) amount of force. Can't figure out why I couldn't get it yesterday. But it did require two of us. Scott's tip proved to be the trick. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts