Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead an took some measurements of the rear shocks. Hopefully I can find a replacement of similar size that can work from junkyards etc...

I know there could be valving differences and whatnot, but something should work, hit or miss. The metal part that holds the Bolts seems to be removable and put on another shock with the bushing as long as the diameter of the hole is the same.

here is a diagram I made, I tried to measure as accurately as I can, but there can still be errors of maybe ~1cm.. Drawing not to scale.

I also measured the springs, which are Diameter: 4.25" and Length:10.5"

·
Registered
407 Posts
Since you have all the measurments, why not contact one of the big shock makers, like Koni, Bilstein, Sachs, etc and see if they either have a cross reference to the car, or have something with your measurements?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
222 Posts
awesome. thanks for the measurements. i was in contact with bilstein yesterday; still waiting to hear back. but we could probably use the universal shocks and just customize the top of the shock for the metal bracket.

Bilstein

i was thinking something towards to the line of the A409120520 which are about $140/each

after looking again, maybe A410130520 is a better fit shock is 10-13"

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
there is this document here that has lengths and part# for monroe shocks, I will look into and and see what I can find.

And I think the manufacturers measure the length from the center of the loops, not the outer edge like I did, so to compare with their lengths maybe you can subtract 4 cm from the lengths I gave gave above.

which brings the leghts to about approx 9" Compressed / 12" Uncompressed. (measure from the center of the rings)

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You guys have missed the most complex part of shock design. The damping and rebound rates. Which will be in the unusual catagory given the Insights light weight.

Mere external dimensions are the easy part. ;)

I doubt there is an off the shelf alternate without compromising these two critical design factors.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had thought of that, so I said I will try similar sizes hit or miss with the internal valving specifications, as long as something feels good or better than stock. I was mainly just looking for an alternative from a more mass produced car, that we would be able to get for alot less than $100 each.

I know most other cars will be heaver, with their shocks designed for that, but I was hoping for a firmer ride, because the stock Insight rear end is really squishy, especially when loaded with 2 people and cargo.

But after looking through Monroe's shock sizes catalog, I cannot find anything that would fit on the Insight, but there are some that come close to fitting. Why did Honda have to make these cars so unique!? :(

You guys have missed the most complex part of shock design. The damping and rebound rates. Which will be in the unusual catagory given the Insights light weight.

Mere external dimensions are the easy part. ;)

I doubt there is an off the shelf alternate without compromising these two critical design factors.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Be careful with using the car mass as a guide with other cars. It totally depends on the motion ratios between the damper and the wheel hub flange as to how that damper actually performs.

Might be worth sending a good damper off to be dyno'd?

Id deffo be interested in a set as at 140k i imagine mine are tired and TBH its not handling that great. I have little confidence in going fast around unknown corners. Speed on my commutes is coming from trial and error rather than feel.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
When I use to be a scion owner Konis and sensatracs were the two recommended. You can get sensatracs at sears auto.

I cant wait for a different shock for the g2 as I have lowered mines and the ride is a bit choppy.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Rear Springs/Shocks

I think I read it on IC, the Daewoo Matiz hatchback rear units are a swap for the Insight parts, the Daewoo springs are stiffer therefore less sag under load

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I bought a Monroe sensatrac 5752. They cost $23 each at the auto store. Its almost the same size as the stocks, now I just have to figure out how to remove the sleeve and the mounting tab from the original shock's bushings and insert them into the new ones.
These also are used on the 1950's VW Beetles.

anyone worked with removing bushings know how to? I looked online, some people use steering pullers, some hammer them.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have given up the battle to find alternative shocks since I dont have a way or the tool or equipment to swap out the bushings & sleeves. It would be easy for someone with a press of something.

But my rear shocks are still totally bad, and it bottoms out all the time. As a really cheap and ghetto solution, I have put in 2 tennis balls inside the rear springs. They effectively dampen the bumps and doesn't bottom out as much. Rides sort of like its on stiffer springs now. I'll have those balls in there until I can find replacement shocks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i just purchased the koni set off of commuter today, and when i get it i can see what custom stuff pro parts did to it because they were OTS DA Konis it looks like.

·
Registered
220 Posts
At 170k miles my insight might just need some new shocks. Every time I go over a bump my car moves like a boat and sways lol. Anybody figure out a shock alterative as of yet? Or is the best bet still the oem ones?

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
My own plan was to go with the Matiz springs mentioned earlier in this thread with new OEM shocks, since I haven't come across any other shocks, but I've been satisfied with the OEM setup so far.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
As far as replacement shocks, just fix the stock ones...

Jack up the car
Remove the tire
Locate the top plate on the shock
Move down from this location about 1/2 inch
Drill an 1/8 inch hole
Fill the shock with a thicker oil than what came with the shock
(I use motor oil)
Don't cover the hole yet
Drop the car back down
Pump the car up/down as hard as you can
Let the excess oil come out
Jack up the car and cover the hole with a small piece of inner tube and worm gear clamp
Put back together and try your new shocks

This has worked on numerous cars of mine.

Jim.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have given up the battle to find alternative shocks since I dont have a way or the tool or equipment to swap out the bushings & sleeves. It would be easy for someone with a press of something.
A threaded piece of bar or a long bolt with a two large sockets may work well enough for a DIY bush puller. Used that a few times to fit and remove bushes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts