Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm interested in putting two subs, where the rear speakers would normally go, does anyone have the measurements of the hole, I don't really want to cut up my interior and find that I can't get the right size subs. I know the speaker is 6", is the actual hole bigger, without the speaker mounting plastic thingy?

thanks
Paul

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is 6.5". It is the the exact dimensions for putting any standard 6.5" speaker in. I don't think there is room for a sub (if there is one that small) because the mounting depth is not very deep. It's been a while since I was back there but I remember a protruding piece of metal (or plastic?) behind the rear opening. If you want some good bass, just get a good set for the fronts and use the rear as fill to make the sound a little bigger.

G

·
0 Posts
Unless you find "free air" 6.5" subs they'll sound terrible because there is no room for enclosures in the cavities behind the mounting holes. Your best bet is a Wayland Shoebox, or a sub enclosure in the rear storage compartment.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
vbrtrmn, the other posters are right about there not being enough room. I built adaptor rings to move my speakers foreward about half an inch. That allowed me to use speakers with larger magnets. It was a lot of work but did not damage the car. Almost any speakers would be better than the stock speakers, so I would look for suggestions from those who have done installs. If you can find speakers with a Neodymium magnet structure and a "long throw" they should sound the best. In my case I made up a couple of pillow like bags filled with sound absorbent material. I found places to put them in there and they had the side benefit of quietening the car. I did have to remove the whole aluminum plate back there to do a good job of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
b1shmu63 said:
vbrtrmn, the other posters are right about...
Don't get me wrong I am not discounting what the other posters said, I have read and re-read their threads and web sites; I apreciate the information. I was just looking for the part number so I can try to find a decent price on the part. It normall runs about $79.00 some sites have it for lower, I was hoping to find the part number so I can do a broader search.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lots of companies make 6.5" subs... They are not that great especially if you want to listen to your music loud. You may want to get a custom box made, fiberglass it, and paint it. like a 10" or 12". I was going to do this and mold it into the corners of the trunk area. but i was thinking it would probably break the rear windshield

1 - 10 of 10 Posts