Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I wanted to share a simple mod in case it helps another person out. I've got a 2001 G1 5-speed with 207,000 miles, and have long wanted to put in rear speakers--but we just got a house and money is tight. I thought it would be fun to do the project without spending any money. I have the stock AM/FM/cassette deck.

As you can see, I just took an old stereo speaker and mounted it on brackets made from license plates. I spliced some speaker wire onto the existing rear-speaker jacks and ran it up, under the carpet. The only thing holding the speaker is the bungee cord, which was done on purpose. (I frequently carry large things in my car, so this design lets me move the speaker out of the way with ease.) I bent the plates using my $30 Harbor Freight sheet-metal brake, which is great for small projects like this.

So, how does it sound? Well, you can tell that I didn't spend anything, but it's a noticeable improvement from before. If I did it again I would invest in thicker speaker wire, and solder the connections rather than use twist-on connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Pretty neat!

Some people might be concerned with an unsecured speaker moving forward in the case of an emergency stop or accident and being dangerous to the driver. Any chance of putting a screw or two into the crossbeam to hold it in place?

For those who have extra car speakers lying around, there are already mounts and speaker wiring in place for them behind the carpet, and you don't even need to remove any panels to get to it. Just stick a knife through in the right spot and cut the carpet until you find the edge of the hole in the aluminum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was concerned about the speaker sliding forward as well, but it actually sits pretty securely. Do you think it would be safe to drill a few self-tappers into the crossbeam? I wasn't sure if there were any wires or other critical parts running through it.

I wish I'd thought to just stab through the carpet! Removing all the little plastic barbs is a real pain, and after 19 years most of them broke anyway.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
43 Posts
I'd definitely secure that speaker better - when I was younger and stupider, I was in a head-on accident, with an unsecured subwoofer in the trunk. The force of that subwoofer flying forwards into the rear bench bent the bench of the car and ripped half the welded mounting lugs clean out of the bodyshell. If it had come over the top of the rear seat, I'm pretty sure it would have turned my head to jam. Luckily it didn't, and I walked away with only the dents in my pride and wallet.

Ever since then I've made damn sure to secure anything in the car that I wouldn't like to be hit in the head with!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts