Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear spoiler on my Insight is falling off. This was going on when I bought the car a year ago, and I secured it temporarily with weatherstrip adhesive, but this has dried up and now it's coming loose again.

Does anybody know how the spoiler attaches, how to get it off and reattach it properly? I suspect one of the mounting points underneath is broken. If so, what would be a good way to reattach it permanently?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Pull the trim piece off that goes around the rear wiper. I think there are one or two bolt heads under there that hold it down. The outer two I think you can get to without removing the plastic piece. I tightened mine down when I did my rear wiper removal and they were loose.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There are a few bolts the keep it in place. I had one break at the plastic, it was replaced under warranty. You might want to contact a dealership as Honda may fix it under a courtesy warranty, if you are outside the warranty.

G

·
0 Posts
Rear Spoiler Removal Instructions

Resist said:
There are a few bolts the keep it in place. I had one break at the plastic, it was replaced under warranty. You might want to contact a dealership as Honda may fix it under a courtesy warranty, if you are outside the warranty.
Well I might give that a whirl, do you happen to remember the warranty cut off time (2001 w/ 60k presently).

I noticed my Rear Spoiler was 'popping up' on the left side for a week or so and after seeing this post I decided to investigate. The short story is the plastic bracket which secures the spoiler to the hatchback frame via the Star Screw is broken (and trying to glue it back on with house caulk like I did is surely doomed for failure).

For anyone attempting to investigate this fact, there is an easy and hard way to figure this out.
Here is what is keeping it attached from drivers side to passenger side:

#30 Star Screw-Plastic Expander-#10mm 'Lug' Bolt-Plastic Expander-#30 Star Screw
The (2) Star Screws w/washer are black, easily found and easily removed (once you've got it rotating). If you remove a screw, lift the spoiler and then try to move the plastic bracket (has metal bonded to the bottom as well (for the screw to go into). If the bracket moves laterally.. it has broken off. Note: You can lose the broken bracket this way so be judicious at this step.

Note: Everything after this is a pain in the ***. To get to the other three you have to pull off the plastic trim piece that goes around the wiper/covers the hatchback door. This is a pain as there are 4 flat clips on the bottom and 4 round clips on top in addition of it fitting extra snuggly where the window is. There are also 2 easy plastic pop in anchors to remove around the lock as well (easy to remove). Thankfully you can't really break anything doing this although you may feel apprehensive. Start with the bottom flat clips first and then work the rest of the trim off like you would a door panel.

The #10mm 'Lug' is real easy to remove. Its about an inch long hex shaped peice of semi-shiny metal and exposes an integrated machine bolt.

The (2) Plastic Expanders are a real pain to deal with... in fact I never got one of them to let go of the hatchback frame. Its white plastic, semi integrated into the spoiler and has two things jutting out on opposites sides to grab the frame. The drivers side is easily found, but to get to the other one you have to remove the metal panel that covers the hole which is behind the wiper motor. This requires removing 3 #10 lag bolts, 4 tiny phillips screws and a small yellowish plastic expander to remove the cover plate of the wiper motor. After that's removed you can see and work the hole enough to try to dislodge the 2nd expander (good luck).

I never got further than the 2nd expander... the top tail light may be troublesome as well, but this is pretty much all the disassembly that would be needed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here is a diagram that includes some of the parts mentioned above.

"Tailgate" Diagram from SLHonda

The nut (#29 in the pic) is loose on the driver's side of my car because where it attaches on the spoiler is broken. I'm not sure about the pass. side but the spoiler overall is still pretty snug. I suspect that all the other nuts (#32 in the pic) are tight and keeping it on. As mentioned, these are behind the inside cover for the rear window and a bit of a pain to check.

I hopes this provides additional help for anyone who has to dig around in this area.

G

·
0 Posts
The diagram is some help.

FEI. The numbers that belong to my description are 27 (star screw), 34 (expander), 32 (hex lug) in the above schematic. 29 & 23 don't seem very accurate as they are at least semi-integrated into the spoiler themselves. You aren't going to remove them ever unless the spoiler is completely removed/replaced.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: Rear Spoiler Removal Instructions

Troll said:
Well I might give that a whirl, do you happen to remember the warranty cut off time (2001 w/ 60k presently).
It's 3 years or 36,000 miles. Which ever occurs first. But because Honda in monitoring their Hybrids closely, they still might cover it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear this, 'cause we snapped the spoiler off of ours (2001, 5spd, 170k) last year pushing it out of a snowdrift. There's not much to get a hold of on an Insight... The gaffer's tape is working, but can't be doing much for our mileage. Lost one of the underbody panels the same way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts