Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
"Krylon" makes a special paint for plastics, lawn chairs etc. molded rubber, etc. Suggest you try it.

You might also try something like "Armoral".(sp?)

The sun fades the coloring on the spoiler because of the mateial it is made of.

Hope this helps.

Willie

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you do paint, Krylon is great! Prep the surface to remove wax and aid adherance. Wear a good respirator. Don't get it on too thick as it hardens due to moisture in the air. Mask the car really carefully and try for a bug free, dust free, wind free, location. If you use a can, find one that has an oval shaped spray pattern and practice a little on a srcap piece first. Use a steady long stroke extending beyond the piece to prevent blobs. Finish with a clear coat and after waiting a week or two appropriate buffing/waxing for a pro look.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jfire said:
Krylon Fusion in Satin Black works great. BUT, before you try this, get some Turtle Wax "ICE". It will possibly bring back the black.

jfire
The problem is the coating is cracking.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
"Discolored" and "Cracking".............How about a pic.

Willie

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ours is doing the same thing. 7 years of Florida heat is killer on cars.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Another forum member posted this some time ago

bernadetha said:
Red colour was good, I was looking for one but I got the silver instead.
I agree when you dark tinted the windows and polished all other black plastic parts, the silverstone looks nice and the colour seems a bit purple at night. I don't have the black line rear skirt anymore, I got the skirt painted with the body colour and it looks better and feel like refined finishing :). but would have to be extra carefull when opening the skirt not to spoil the paint.
So I am happy with the silver one, and maybe the only one in Australia with full skirt colour to make it even more rare :)
If you are interested you could pm bernadetha to see how it was done and if it's still working well

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The spoiler is just black plastic with a clear coat on it. If you wanted it to look real nice I'd sand it all the way down, lay some primer on it and sand it, then lay some black base coat and clear (all automotive paint of course).

Of course a cheaper easier option is to sand off the peeling clear and just paint some clear over it. This is a common enough issue with the spoiler I've seen in Arizona, mine included.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up sanding all over with 1200 grit wet & dry, then priming, then a few good coats of black gloss.

Early signs are good, even before I have cut the paint back it looks very smooth, will wait a couple of weeks for it to harden off before cutting it back though,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Duct tape on rear spoiler

I saw an Insight over the weekend that apparently had similar problems with spoiler. I had to laugh out loud when I realized someone had very carefully wrapped the spoiler (and the lower back window) in duct tape. Now that's class!

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have mine one painted by dealer so i don't know how they did it.
I asked them to paint it so I would buy the car :)
After 3 years I found the colour still good, a bit dicoloured around exhaust pipe hole.
The only problem is you need to be extra careful when opening the rear skirt to rotate the tyre not to peel the paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts