Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2002 insight and I was wondering if it would be possible to have someone install one subwoofer behind each seat. I'm talking about installing them right into the panel behind the seats. I don't know what size would be appropiate or if it would even be possible. Doesn't honda make a rear speaker kit? If it's possible to install rear speakers it should be possible to install some small subwoofers, right?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hi Matt

It would be feasible to install small subwoofers (6" or 7"), but it might be better to install normal rear speakers behind the seats and a subwoofer in the void space near the spare tyre (search for Wayland on this forum).

Please note that there is limited room in the compartment behind the seats, with plenty of pipework in the vicinity. Suggest you locate any new speakers in the same place as stock speakers. You can see some of the pipework in the photos I took when replacing stock rear speakers:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/christ ... .dir=/e9b9

All my Insight photo albums:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/christ ... /my_photos

·
Registered
75 Posts
The odds of fitting a sub in that space are slim and none in my opinion.

and when the f**k did they start putting double din stereo's in insights? holy poop thats' cool.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Fitting speakers behind the seats.... ehhh maybe. There are two places for some extra 6.5" speakers that are directly behind each seat. Honda does sell a kit for them, but Honda's speakers are pretty much junk in my opinion. Plus the rear speaker kit ruins the sound stage (I'm talking full range speakers here). If you take one of the stock door speakers out you can see how skinny it is, most of us who want to put some better speakers in the doors have to cut some plastic to get them to fit. With the rears you don't really have this option as some of the IMA ducting runs right behind the little magnet basket on the passenger side.

Frankly after hearing one of John Waylands shoe box subwoofers I'm conviced thats the way to go. It doesn't use up any space as it uses the dead navigation brain hole under the rear deck, and really does sound great.

And reguarding the double din thats only on the right side drive models. Honda has not graced us with such a gift over here. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts