Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those in the UK contemplating replacling the rear bushes, golf Mk2 bushes appear almost identical but slightly smaller requiring an outer sleeve to be fitted prior to fitting to the axle and a 3mm washer. They are also easy and cheap to obtain.

Original
O/D 50mm
Inner steel insert I/D 12 mm X 92.6 mm

Golf Mk2 ( as per photo)
O/D 44.75 - 44.8 mm
Inner steel insert I/D 12 mm X 90 mm
The extended ear and its shape is very close to that of the original.

I'm in the process of modifying a spare axle for air suspension along the lines of Julian Edgar's well documented article and replacing the original bushes which were badly split. My existing car has 220,000 Mls and its bushes are just showing signs of surface cracks in the ear area as well which prompted my decision to upgrade everything.

Currently working on pneumatics as until lockdown is released getting the axle blasted and modified spring seats fitted is not possible although I now have most of the parts required.

It's possible to fit the BMW X5 compressor and a 5L Audi Q5 tank inside the car, please PM me if you want further info, see attached phitos

Trust you are all COVID free, stay safe.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

·
Registered
Japanese 05 CVT
81 Posts
That’s good to know. I’d wager you could bond on a short length of 50mm diameter 2.5mm wall tube with structural adhesive and fit and forget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jonny many thanks for the comment - I may end up doing just that but as I have someone lined up to bore out the donor tube and put a small entry taper/ reduction on the O/D I thought I'd try freezing the sleeved bush and warming the axle carrier.
If you have a recommendation for any suitable structural adhesive I'd be interested. Always Good to have alternatives available.
I did look at buying the straight custom bushes from the USA but without a bulk purchase to offset the freight and import costs the Golf bushes even with buying enough steel tube to make a spare set of sleeves works out at less than a 3rd of the cost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, MK3 replacements another possible solution but wanted to stay with the stiffer more standard rubber and keep the 'roll steer' / lateral ear as close to the original as possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For those in the UK contemplating replacling the rear bushes, golf Mk2 bushes appear almost identical but slightly smaller requiring an outer sleeve to be fitted prior to fitting to the axle and a 3mm washer. They are also easy and cheap to obtain.

Original
O/D 50mm
Inner steel insert I/D 12 mm X 92.6 mm

Golf Mk2 ( as per photo)
O/D 44.75 - 44.8 mm
Inner steel insert I/D 12 mm X 90 mm
The extended ear and its shape is very close to that of the original.

I'm in the process of modifying a spare axle for air suspension along the lines of Julian Edgar's well documented article and replacing the original bushes which were badly split. My existing car has 220,000 Mls and its bushes are just showing signs of surface cracks in the ear area as well which prompted my decision to upgrade everything.

Currently working on pneumatics as until lockdown is released getting the axle blasted and modified spring seats fitted is not possible although I now have most of the parts required.

It's possible to fit the BMW X5 compressor and a 5L Audi Q5 tank inside the car, please PM me if you want further info, see attached phitos

Trust you are all COVID free, stay safe. View attachment 85523

View attachment 85524 View attachment 85525 View attachment 85526 View attachment 85527

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I finally got around to looking at the rear axle and I wish that I had done it sooner. UK roads, winter salt and wet weather seem to accelerate corrosion and had certainly had a go at the most susceptible part of an insight!
So I took it off and in doing the rubber bush came apart, can’t have been good but the bolt was stuck in the sleeve and the rotation just tore it apart. So imagine my consternation when I found that not only is the part not sold separately from the back axle, it’s not even available any more.
Onto Insight Central…..and studied the options. Decided to fit the VW Mk II golf/Corrado bushes as nearest to the original.

Back axle shot blasted and taken to a company in Keighley West Yorkshire (A1 Roe Ltd) together with the replacement bushes and asked for two mild steel sleeves. Length 46mm, O.D. 50mm, I.D. requested as an interference fit on the new bush which turned out to be tapered slightly so a diameter about half way down was used which if I recall was about 44.2 but check that yourself.
I requested one end of the sleeve to be chamfered at 45 degree. This allows the new bush to seat fully into the sleeve. See photos.
The new bushes were welded in place on the outer edge where there are two convenient slots in the original mounting and on the inner edge I just made the slots deeper with an angle grinder before welding.
Now the sleeves were securely welded in place, press fitted the new bushes after making punch marks for the alignment. The new bushes could be pushed nearly half way home by hand and using G clamps to pull them in fully home.
Before fitting the new bushes were coated with assembly locking liquid. Thread lock or similar will do as this helps to lubricate them going in and ensures that they don’t ever move once fitted.
If you have to replace them in future apply plenty of heat to the outside first.
The mounting brackets had new nuts welded on and a 2mm washer welded on the inside as the VW bushes are 2mm shorter than the original. Probably not strictly necessary to do this but as it was being welded anyway.
Before assembly gave it a full coat off stone chip followed by chassis black. New handbrake cables, clips, brake pipes and should be good for the next 10 years.
As to driving on the road, no different to original and no clunks etc.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts