Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to forums so please bare with me.
We have a 2000 model Insight with saggy rear suspension. I have read some of the forums on the subject and thought that there must be a way of getting better shocks for similar money than original Honda. The delivery time is about six weeks in the UK as well.
Lucky for me I live not too far away from Peter Perkins, so I had a conversation with some good advice about using Daewoo Matiz springs.
I eventually tracked down some second hand Matiz springs, borrowed some genuine shocks and springs and sent them to Dave at a company called Gazshocks. They make sports suspension kits.
Dave was extremely helpful and patient.
What he came up with is a set of gas adjustable shocks and springs made to the length and rate of the Matiz but with the diameter of the original Insight to give a good fit.
They have now arrived and the quality feels really good. When fitting the cross bar on the top of the shock just fouls slightly. a quick phone call and Dave is arranging to have them collected and modified. A good test of customer service.
So far I have only done about a hundred miles with the new springs and genuine shocks but the transformation is amazing. I am not the lightest of fellows and with me, my wife and shopping, we had no rear bottoming out. On rough roads I just cant believe the difference.
This was the first set that he had made for the Insight and if anybody is interested he expects the price to be about £170 plus VAT and postage. No VAT on USA orders I understand. website Gaz Shocks | Performance shock absorbers | Suspension Kits | Adjustable suspension kits | Camber adjusters | Top Mounts | Premium height adjustable suspension kits.
When I receive the modified shocks back I will let you know how I get on.
I have a few pictures but can't figure out how to add them yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very interesting. It would be good if the unladen/lightly laden ride were improved too, I find my car a bit harsh. (ex-citroen hydropneumatic enthusiast!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to mention that unladen it raised the rear by approximately 30mm. Unfortunately. I did not think to take measurements. With a partial load.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For dampers only i think they are they £55 plus at and postage each

I have only info been involved with the rear at the present as my front suspension is ok at present. If anybody has a spare front suspension unit spare, I am sure if it was sent to gaz shocks, they would be able to replicate it or adjust spring rate to whatever was required.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That looks fantastic and doesn't seem to bad for the price. Do you happen to have pics of them installed in your car?

Just looking at the pic, they come with that top bar pin? I wondering if they would work with my Ground Control lowering springs...hhhmmm...;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have any pictures of them fitted yet as the top pin needs a bit more work on the recess. Called them about this and within half an hour they have arranged collection.
So monday they will be collected for modification.
The top mounting pin is supplied fitted in the bush. The pin is made from steel but have asked if they could quote how much extra they would be out of stainless steel.
They are gas units that are adjustable. They have about 20 clicks of adjustment and I reckon by pushing by hand that 12 clicks is about the same as my present shocks.
As soon as I get them back I will post some photos of them fitted.
Talking to the guy whom was organising the collection, they have some very good postage rates to the USA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delay, holidays and work.
The units were quickly adapted and returned.
Due to unforeseen circumstances I only managed to fit them a couple of days ago.
All measurements are approximate as I had not much time.
From the top mounting bracket to the centre of the bottom fixing when compressed the standard were approx 230mm (9" ) and on the new units 242mm (91/2" ). when fitted I jack up the swinging arm and tried to measure from the bump stop to the body. This was hampered by the spring but was between 20-25mm. The room between the bottom fixing and damper was 28mm.
Ok 3-8mm clearance may not sound much but the swing arm was still not at 90 degrees. So correct me if I am wrong but the bump stop will travel more than the shock mounts the shock is mounted closer to the pivot point of the arc, giving more clearance.
The mounting bracket is made of steel so I glued some thin rubber sheet on top to avoid any steel to aluminium contact.
The adjustment knob seems to have about 20 settings. I have set it on number 12 at present, as this seems just a bit more resistance judging by hand than the ones I was removing.
As yet I have not driven it as my wife seems to be using it all the time but she reports that it feels better and does not bounce as much on our local bumpy roads.
If you are interested my contact was Dave at Gaz shock, who was very helpful and got the goods sorted.
Gaz Shocks | Performance shock absorbers | Suspension Kits | Adjustable suspension kits | Camber adjusters | Top Mounts | Premium height adjustable suspension kits
I told him they were for a Honda Insight generation/mark 1 and if you want to mention my name its Steve Colbourne.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Those GAZ shocks look fantastic! Now I have another reason to buy new shocks!

·
Registered
734 Posts
GAZ GT rear shocks...

One more question DaddyFCB, are these the GAZ GT shocks that you had custom made? I'm trying to contact these guys and see how much everything will be shipped here to the States.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure if they are the GT model but i believe so.I
He said they would be a single gas unit, so you could only adjust compression and rebound together. I believe that some of the more technical units you can adjust the settings individually.
I got to drive it the weekend. Started off on setting twelve, not bad but raised them up to number 14. To me it feels really good. No more bottoming out and less harsh and alto less bounce on the rear. There are a couple of the bends local where the road surface is a not very smooth and sometimes made the back end a bit jittery but no drama at all yesterday.
The adjusted knob was well placed as well so I only had to kneel down and could reach under to adjust the setting.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks! I got an email from them and they quoted me 100 pounds for the pair of shocks and 55 pounds for "carriage" which I am assuming means shipping.

So roughly $240 for 2 rear shocks and shipping... I will have to think about it before I pull the trigger...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any chance they can do struts, or inserts?A group buy might save a lot on shipping for shocks and/or struts.
ed

·
Registered
734 Posts
Any chance they can do struts, or inserts?A group buy might save a lot on shipping for shocks and/or struts.
ed
I think the best bet would be to get Koni inserts for the fronts and go from there. I am currently trying to complete a Koni setup for my Honda Fit and work on the Insight after that is done.

In about a month I plan on changing my entire suspension with new shocks/struts and see where it takes me, as long as I have enough time and money to do it!!;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ed
I am sure if some one has got a spare front strut or insert to send them to use as a pattern they would be able to come up with the goods.
I don't know how much standard shocks cost from Honda in the USA but over here even with carriage they are cheaper than standard items.
One of mine was starting to leak oil so needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am sure if some one has got a spare front strut or insert to send them to use as a pattern they would be able to come up with the goods.
I don't know how much standard shocks cost from Honda in the USA but over here even with carriage they are cheaper than standard items.
One of mine was starting to leak oil so needed to be replaced.
Well, I just got another email from GAZ and they just informed me that the rear shocks are fully rebuildable.

As for the fronts, I will be replacing my front shocks fairly soon and I would like to try a DIY Koni insert using my old shocks. Once I get around to it I will post a DIY if I can complete it myself.

Looks like OEM front shocks for now...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts