Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of years, especially this past year, I noticed that my interior rear view mirror is beginning to get a liquid gooey substance seeping all the way around the edges of the mirror. It is under the smooth finish of the mirror, but it is over the reflective part of the glass. I never had this happen on a car before. (My Insight is a 2000.)

The Honda dealership didn't have a clue what the problem was, but was quick to offer selling a replacement mirror for $90. When I asked them if this would happen again if I spent the money on a new one, they told me that they didn't know, but it could. :roll:

Is anyone else having this problem? Could this be attirbuted to the heat (as I park my car outside in the driveway)? Is there a fix other than buying a new one? Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
thats strange. i just noticed the same thing on my mirror a few days ago. it wasnt there last week. very odd...

maybe its time for a mirror with a backup camera monitor in it! (always upgrade!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same here. The layers of glass that make the mirror switch bright to dim are delaminating. Camera lenses do the same thing when left in a hot car for a long time. It starts at the edge and works in toward the center. I tried to have mine replaced under the extended warranty, but no go. It should be replaced under the 36,000 bumper-to-bumper factory warranty, as it is a part failure. It's a $50 part from majestic.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... ry5=MIRROR

Tom
'01 #1042 ECOBOT

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Any mirrors from other Hondas or other makes compatible?

I would like to replace my delaminating Insight mirror.

Any clever junkyard mods? Any compatible mirrors from other Hondas or other cars? Any quality after market mirrors?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
806 Posts
My friend has an aftermarket clip-on wideview mirror in his Insight, and I like it a lot. Something like this, which I found with about 5 seconds of Google searching. There are probably better ones. Search for "clip-on rear view mirror" or something.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm looking for an auto-dimming mirror with compass/temp/etc myself. Gonna start by seeing if any of my relatives' honda mirrors fit the Insight.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
The hard part is finding one that mounts on the same bracket or at least similarly. A lot of the multi-function mirrors mount on the roof/windshield frame.

I definately prefer a factory look and permanent upgrade vs. the clip-on though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts