Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somehow my passanger side tire cover came off..or should i say half came off. i'm missing now one of the bolts that holds the wheel panel on. does anyone know the part number? i called the dealer this morning..and they said they would get back to me. any info would be great. i guess i hit a rock or something..i dunno. thanks in advance..scott

·
Registered
242 Posts
spat fasteners

Hi Scott,

here's a link to the part at one of the online dealers:

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/au ... y5=MOLDING

Scroll down to #14 - rr wheelhouse spat fastener. I'm pretty sure the Honda parts number was posted here at some point, but I can't find it now.

You might try some of the other online dealers - prices vary. If I wasn't so lazy, I would have installed my stainless fasteners by now, and I'd have a set of the original ones to give you....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Reguarding the skirt bolts, they do need to be at least checked from time to time. They are only a half turn screw so over time vibration can make them turn enough to come out. Another possibility is when you had them off it's easy to not put them back on properly. The best way to check this is to put the skirt on and tighten both bolts, then give the skirt a tug down and a tug out to make sure they are securely fastened.

One good way to make sure they're always fastened properly is to always take them off when cleaning the vehicle, that way they're always tightened down all the way (for me this is at the maximum every other week).

And I hate to say this, but be prepared to drop at least $10 on the stupid little bolts. They're WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY over priced.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In yet another example of the unbelievable incompetence of my local Honda dealer in Bakersfield, they completely failed to properly secure the spats (rear wheel covers) on my Insight after a 60,000 mile service. They missed the tabs on the front and top of each spat. Additionally, they failed to actually tighten the retaining screws on both sides. I found them all loose. Amazingly, they did'nt fall out on the short drive home. It only takes a half turn for crying out loud! How hard is that?

They also overfilled the oil with three full quarts...again, and failed to look at the brake pads while the tires were off. So, as usual, never trust the dealer. I love this little car, but come 2006, its getting replaced with a Corolla. Sorry.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Skypig,

You should write a letter to Honda of America, cc: the service manager. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jim thanks for the link..i order it last monday and it came in mail on saturday. great dealer...glad i'm on this forum

·
Registered
12 Posts
My experience also taught me that another thing to watch for is movement of the clip to which the bolt screws into. If the clip has shifted, the bolt will turn against the unthreaded hole in the fender and "feel" tight. A few bumps later the clip has further shifted and the bolt falls free, and so, eventually, does the skirt. Make sure the clip is centered to the hole and the bolt. For all the tech time which went into this car, I do not understand why the body design folks would have used such an unreliable fastening system!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts