Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've read the threads on this site for the last 6 years since I bought my insight, but never signed up for an account until now. I recently lost one of my rear wheel skirts while driving and was wondering if anyone else encountered this. BTW, should you ever have to replace one of these, be ready to pay $279.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A very good reason to remove and replace them yourself. Some "mechanics" can't quite figure out how the spats secure although it is rather easy. Making sure all the locking tabs are in place is just as important. If installed correctly, they should not fall off.

·
Registered
338 Posts
also...SOMEONE was selling replacement "pins" that I bought a while back and I gotta say they are bulletproof.

Highly recommended those "pins" are! :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sadly, it was a honda dealership

I had just had the 112K maintenance at the dealership within 2 weeks of this happening. I just assumed they would know how to secure the skirts if they removed them. Although, I had to change dealerships years ago because the first Honda dealer didn't know how to service their own car. So I guess I shouldn't have expected this dealership to be any more competent about the Insight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This exact same thing happened to me after Tire Barn installed two rear tires at a store in Indianapolis. I was driving the next day and heard a scraping coming from the rear of my Insight. Luckily for me, the skirt was hanging from the car by one screw.

I went back into Tire Barn expecting to have to "do battle" in order to convince them it was their fault. To my surprise, the manager immediately accepted responsibility and told me that he would replace the screw (which ended up costing $18 for just the part :shock: ). He looked at my Insight and VOLUNTEERED to have my skirt buffed out at a nearby body shop as he thought it might have been slightly scraped when it started to fall off. Also, he volunteered to have my entire rim refurbished (and it ended up looking like new) and he replaced my rim centerpiece with a new one as these were scratched up from the skirt hanging against it before I came to a stop. I paid $0 out of pocket. Although Tire Barn in my opinion fixed what they damaged (as should happen), it is unusual for a company to have this level of customer service these days and stand behind their work. Cheers to Tire Barn :D

Point being: If Tire Barn will stand behind their service and not be at all argumentative over fault, Honda should do the same, especially considering it is their product. Good luck and keep us informed as to the outcome.

·
Administrator
12,271 Posts
trunkout said:
also...SOMEONE was selling replacement "pins" that I bought a while back and I gotta say they are bulletproof.

Highly recommended those "pins" are! :lol:
Just an advisory note about these pins.

I bought some of these as well and used them over the UK winter on one of my cars. They are an aluminium fastener with a steel locking pin.

When I came to remove them recently it was impossible to get the locking pins out. I had to cut the pins off in situ with a tiny hacksaw, good job it was not a problem at the roadside! :shock:

On examination it appears the hole through the aluminium fastner corroded due to road salt/moisture, trapping the pin in place.

I had some spares and replaced them after ensuring they were thoroughly lubricated/greased first.

Don't use them dry or the aluminium will corrode locking the pins in place :(

Lubricate/grease the pin/hole before use.

The lubrication/corrosion problem aside the pins are a good idea and you won't lose your skirts with them in place.

Peter

·
Registered
466 Posts
so far so good using thick black ty-wraps instead of the 1/4-turn fasteners... i just keep a few in the trunk as spares.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just replaced my drivers side wheel cover for the 2nd time!

Yep, those puppies are expensive. Even crazier is the cost of those plastic screws - $25 per screw.

After a few weeks of calling salvage yards across the US, I finally found a place today who sold me my replacement for $70. I only hope he sends me the screws with the skirt.

·
Registered
230 Posts
here's how I secure mine -- after painting the screws black to protect them against rust -- I squirt clear silicone caulk into each hole and then put the screws in and tighten. this secures them but still allows you to removed them if necessary.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Instructions for removing wheel skirts

I'm having an Insight transported from several States away and I would like to tell the transporter how to remove the wheel skirts.

Can anyone describe in detail the process or point me to where I can obtain written instrucitons. I believe it would be better to transport the skirts inside the vehicle which reduces the risk of losing them during transport and will allow the transporter clear access to the rear wheels to strap the vehicle down properly.

Any information would be appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd like some of the aluminum replacement pins mentioned here, however, I cannot seem to locate the thread/posting about those pins. I would appreciate someone supplying me with that info. Thanks.

Jim in MI
2001 Insight

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
atlaw4u;
Take a quarter (.25) put in slot of fasteners and turn counter clockwise (left) one quarter turn. Pull the "skirt" out slightly, (one inch) then pull the "skirt" down (like taking off your pants.) :lol: HTH

Willie

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Note that the screws are not retained in place, and will at first catch in the hole but then bounce out when you take off the panel. Usually they bounce to an unreachable location under the car. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
how about just using a standard 1/4 or so inch bolt and nut assembly, with nylon or similar washers?

Yes, I just had one of the screws fly off (when I hit a pothole) dropping the skirt to the ground. I was able to stop in time, unscrew the remaining pin, and place everything in the car.

thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
yes, a nut and bolt will work. stainless wont rust, and paint the head black so it wont be seen.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Hi All,

Fitting the Insight rear wheel skirts can be summarised by the simple statement....."It's a right royal pain in the arse"

The standard 1/4 turn fixings Honda use are called Dzus fasteners. They are good, but they are not fool proof. They are commonly found on aircraft cowlings and the like and as bits don't tend to fall off Supermarine Spitfires or P51 Mustangs too often, I think we can recon on the skirts not falling off the Insight if they are fitted correctly in the first place.

On the Insight the fixed nut part of this fixing is found on the car and is slid into place so that it lines up with the fixings hole. BE WARNED that if the car is driven without the cover fitted the fixed nuts can come loose and be lost. This will cause you much aggravation and expense. Note that in aircraft applications this fixed nut half of the fastener is usually riveted in place so it cannot fall off, or get out of alignment as it can on the Insight.

All Dzus fasteners I have seen to date were held captive on the panel the by a washer that fits into the slightly smaller shoulder you can see on the fixing, so I was very surprised when mine hit the floor the first time I removed the wheel skirts. I have since made mine captive by fixing a plastic washer onto the fastener. It's measurements are internal diameter 6.4mm (1/4") outside diameter 22.28mm (7/8") and 0.68mm (about 1/32)thick The washers should be thin and flexible and be a force fit over the first portion of the fastener so they clip into the smaller diameter and then freely rotate and slide.

Once the Dzus fasteners are held captive, the skirts get a whole lot harder to fit as the fasteners are now a bit more of a fiddle to align during the re-fitting of the skirt. There is also a chance that while you are attending to the alignment of all the assorted lugs on the cover, the half engaged captive Dzus fastener will push the captive nut that is on the car slightly "sideways" with respect to the hole that it should be lined up with and can even move enough that it can either fall off, or just sit in a position that stops it engaging. This is probably why Honda did not fit the captivating washer in the first place.

The TWO VITAL things about fitting these skirts are as follows....Firstly that all of the locating lugs that you can see on the skirt are positioned such that they slide correctly into place as the skirt is lifted up to its final position.....and second that the Dzus fastener is engaged with its fixed nut and then turned against a slight resistance until it hits a definite stop which should coincide with the dots lining up as stated in the owners manual.

A good plan to check if all of your location lugs have actually engaged properly is to reach under the fitted skirt and try to push it outwards. If it is fitted correctly it should be nice and secure with no ability to flex outwards in any major way. then check the dots on the Dzus fasteners again....

Quite how the hell you are meant to do all this if you have a puncture in the dark at a deserted roadside beggars belief, but if you fail in any single aspect of this procedure you are sure as hell going to hear an awful scraping sound in the very near future.

If you remove the skirts every time you wash the car as I do, while you will at first risk re-fitting them incorrectly, you will soon learn the nuances of the system and then when you do need to remove the damn things in an emergency you will be an expert at it :D ......Also the fittings won't be rusted solid from non use and the insides of the skirts will be nice and clean and a bunch lighter without the encrusted dirt that I found on mine first time I removed them.

Good luck,

Rog

·
Registered
685 Posts
"Quite how the hell you are meant to do all this if you have a puncture in the dark at a deserted roadside beggars belief"

Suggestion: if this happens, simply put the skirt(s) in the back of the car and reinstall them when you have light and better working conditions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I bought my Insight a year ago, I needed a formal safety inspection to get the registration. The next day, I heard a scraping noise as I drove along. The forward pin had fallen out, and the skirt was dragging from the rear pin. One of the local Honda dealers was able to order a pair of replacement pins for $12. However, there are a couple of minor bends in the aluminum body just back of the spad from the leverage the spad provided before I stopped. And the surface is ground down along part of the black part of the spad.

Frustrating.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anytime I have my Insight's rear tires off, I take the skirts off and place them in the truck before delivering it to the service people. I also put them back on myself just to make sure its done right. It only takes about a minute each and it guarantees you'll have skirts next time!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: sadly, it was a honda dealership

... I just assumed they would know how to secure the skirts if they removed them.
... I shouldn't have expected this dealership to be any more competent about the Insight.
Experience is showing me that some of the Honda dealerships do know what they're doing - others do not or do not care. Experience on this end suggests that until you personally know better, you would be correct in assuming that the employees at the Honda dealer do NOT know what he/she is doing with YOUR Insight; i.e., watch them like the proverbial hawk anytime and everytime they get near it.

... Just my opinion - for what little it may be worth.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts