Honda Insight Forum banner

Rear window distortion

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SeanW 
#1 ·
We love our new Insight, but are currently negotiating with the factory rep to get the rear window replaced. There is a wavy distortion in it that makes other cars headlights appear to be “flashing” us. I realize that the problem is compounded by angle of the rear window. My question is: Does anyone else have problems with distortion in the rear window?

#4 ·
Me too...

I also thought the lights behind me were fluttering or brightening, couldn't figure out why... I finally realized (or at least I think this is what it is) the wires on the defroster grid were interfering with the light from headlights as the cars bounced around in relation to each other. I'm not sure if the wires seem broader than normal due to the shallow angle of the window, or they really are (never bothered to check). After we had the hatch tinted the effect either ameliorated or I got used to it, one or the other. I no longer notice it much.

#5 ·
Thanks for your (disappointing) feedback everyone. Isn’t there anyone out there who wants to tell me that they don’t know what I am talking about and their view out the back window does not cause slight undulations in straight lines?
By the way Boogetyboogety, how do you like your tinting? Does it cut down much on visibility? Does it keep it any cooler?
Thanks, Dan

#6 ·
I'm with everybody else...

The view out my rear window almost appears to have a "line" of distortion across it. If you look at the angle you're looking through it, though, it makes sense. Towards the bottom of the window, you're just looking through the 1/4" glass. Not a big deal. The further up you go, the more extreme the horizontal angle is compared to you -- up at the top, we're probably looking through more like 2 or 2.5" of glass. I haven't ruler-measured it -- it's only eight degrees outside! -- but I think that's pretty close. Ever sat inside an armored car? They have 3" thick glass all around, normally, and the drivers have to be trained in how not to hit things through the severely distorted view. It's like trying to throw a rock and hit a fish; you have to compensate for the fact that what you're seeing isn't what's really there due to refraction.

Unfortunately, the dealer can't change the laws of physics or the design of the glass :) But the problem really only affects things appearing closer to the top of the glass, then that little transition as the curve adjust more quickly towards the middle. I haven't found it to be a big deal, even with almost all of my driving being in the dark this time of year. But everybody's different...

#8 ·
OK. If that’s the way it is, then we can hang with it. It’s just another thing like rude drivers to put up with. I wanted to do my part to keep Honda honest. Besides, who ever got a new car with no “sample defects”? I’ve never owned a Honda. The defects were so much easier to find on the Chevy, VW, Subaru… I guess I’ll have to keep looking.

#11 ·
I noticed "flashing" tonight on the way home. It seemed more a problem with the height difference between the Insight and most of the vehicles (SUVs, trucks) behind me, the lower cars didn't appear to have the same effect. That, and the fact that the roads in Sonoma County from Petaluma to Santa Rosa are not very smooth or flat. I also noticed it in my driver's-side mirror.

#12 ·
Love our tinting, Dan, we used Formula 1 35% and have had no issues whatsoever (but then again, we have all our cars tinted with the same stuff). Don't forget the little vertical window in the wayback, at first I thought I would leave it alone, but I took it back after the work was done because it looked weird without tinting in the rearview mirror (yeah, I use it from time to time :lol: ). Here in North TX, it's soooo nice when the weatherman says "London Broil today, London Broil tomorrow, and the same for the rest of the 5-day forecast..." :twisted:

#13 ·
I had to really look to notice a small amount of distortion near the top of the rear window (when looking in the mirror). It is up high out of the line of sight to other cars which is why I probably never noticed it before (and probably never will again).

James,
My windows were tinted by the previous owners. They had all but the small rear window tinted (I guess because it already had some tint). I had the same reflections you are talking about and they were driving me crazy. The lines would reflect up thru the small window and off of the large one. My solution was to go and have the small window tinted as dark as they had (Limo, I think, but he even offered to do solid, black vinyl!). The way my mirror is adjusted, I don't ever see out the lower window anyway and the reflections are gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.