Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hail! I have had my Silver 2000 Insight for 2 weeks and Im loving it. Averaging 58-60MPG and enjoying getting 500+ miles on a tank. I started the car up the other day (temperature around 30 degrees and raining) and turned on the rear wiper. An unGodly sound came out of it for the first 2-3 mins and I didnt know if anyone else has had this issue.

It stopped then, but now I keep listening and am thinking of bringing it to Honda for a replacement. Either way, has anyone else experienced this on the Insight?

Michael

·
Registered
200 Posts
My rear wiper has always sounded bad, so normally I don't use it much, never turning it to on, but only using it intermitantly at stoplights and such as needed. At speed the rake of the glass is enough not to need to wipe often. At least in my case, I've always felt the sound coming from the wiper had more to do with a lack of enough moisture to keep the wiper from grabbing the window, whereas the few times I've really been in a heavy rain and used the rear wiper I haven't noticed the sound. As long as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the motor you should be okay. You could always get a replacement blade and see if there is any improvement. I've never changed the rear wiper in the almost three years I've had my Insight, that's how rarely I use it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
you mean that "BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" noise when it goes down?

:lol: yeah i think it's just the rubber and the glass

maybe i'll record it tomorrow morning. i always get moisture on the car now that i park in the street :(

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
You can easily identify rubber on glass noise vs. motor noise; just lift the wiper blade up off the glass and then turn on the rear wiper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, its definately a motor/gearing noise, but only when the thing gets wet. (go figure) I'll visit a Honda dealer and see if they'll replace it.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,896 Posts
rear wiper

Wasn't there a recall on the rear wiper? Something about a bad ground?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill have to check it out, I have a listing they gave me of the 3 service visits the previous owner came in for. I am not receiving noise in the speakers, so its sounding purely mechanical. It didnt happen this weekend in heavy rain, so...<shrug>

Thanks for the input, tho.

Michael

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had the same motor noise. I disasemble the motor. I add a shim at the end of the worm shaft. The noise i caused by a loose motor shaft.

·
Registered
34 Posts
shim assembly

talon,
could you describe the shim addition a bit more. I would like to try the same thing for this problem. I will likely delete the wiper arm/ motor assembly at some point, but for now, I would like to keep it. Is there another suggestion for the motor/ transmission issue for the rear wiper noise?

·
7,200 Posts
There's a rear wiper? Oh yeah.

I think I accidentally turned it on once.. lol. :p

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ho my god, it is to old now. I think that in the casing, there is a rubber shim where the worm shaft sits. I have added a shim under it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts