Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The correct subject" Rear Windshield spontaneous disintegration. Anyone else?

My neighbor borrowed my Insigh and upon closing the trunk the rear windshield glass completely shattered. She is the goodest-yogi-vegeterian person on the universe so I have no doubt that she did not do anything wrong and that this was a fabrication defect on the glass that caused it to break when closing the trunk.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this prevalent pathology?

Can anyone estimate the cost of the repair? Suggestions for a service?

Is there any chance to make a claim against Honda to get this repaired/paid for? Any advice on how to proceed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That's strange. Are you sure she didn't close the hatch on something she was hauling;breaking the glass from the inside?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm certain that she did not break the glass from the inside by closing it onto something. She is as trustworthy and responsible as they make them.

She claims she closed it as hard (or softly) as she has been closing car doors all her life. I actually think it would be difficult to break it by slamming the trunk shut; any experimental volunteers?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm certain that she did not break the glass from the inside by closing it onto something. She is as trustworthy and responsible as they make them.
What did she have in the back? Even if you trust her implicitly, I think it's worth asking.

If she had a couple soft grocery bags in the back, I think that scenario can be reasonably ruled out. If, however, she had it loaded with luggage or anything with sharp or hard corners, it's plausible. It's possible she didn't even realize what happened and is not in fact trying to deceive you...

I actually think it would be difficult to break it by slamming the trunk shut; any experimental volunteers?
Haha, yeah, we'll get right on that :p

PS> maybe a mod can merge the 2 threads on this topic?

·
Registered
790 Posts
RahTX makes a good point about luggage as an example.

I have to take my wife to the airport every now and then.

There in all actuality is not a lot of space in the rear to put stuff with any height to it. If you move the rear seats forward, sure, you might be able to slide an alligator or crocodile in there, etc. whatever.

I've come real close to busting out the rear windshield from luggage before. There isn't much height available, at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was nothing in the trunk!

People, this thread is not about her trust-worthiness. It's about whether Honda is making defective glass and how to get them to pay for them.

She took pictures immediately after the glass broke and there is nothing in the trunk. The pictures show a big hole in the middle of the rear windshield and the rest of it shattered but still in place. There is no chance she could have taken her stuff out and closed the trunk without the whole shattered pane falling in.

Seriously!? Has this happened to anyone else?

I called the dealer and they said that the part alone costs $792 + labor. That is roughly $1000 for closing the trunk. It's unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
Well it seems that you are the first with that malfunction.
If you have comp (glass damage) on your insurance they should take car of it.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
234 Posts
People, this thread is not about her trust-worthiness. It's about whether Honda is making defective glass and how to get them to pay for them.
I'm not questioning her trust-worthiness, but sometimes things happen and people don't even realize that they did anything wrong. Again, there is every chance that she is telling you the truth to the best of her knowledge, and as you said, that's not the issue here anyways...

She took pictures immediately after the glass broke and there is nothing in the trunk.
Why was she closing the hatch if nothing was in there? Maybe she took something out and then closed it and it broke, but the fact remains, *something* was in the hatch at some point, and you don't seem to know what it was. Ask her.

Seriously!? Has this happened to anyone else?
Not that has been reported here. It's not impossible that your specific car had a defect, but it's obviously not a prevalent issue.

These threads remind me of that lady who was posting for her son-in-law thinking that the I2 had a runaway/unintended acceleration issue like the Prius was suspected of. She couldn't just accept that no one else experienced anything like that and steadfastly refused to believe that the "human factor" could be involved at all.

No one here can claim with any certainty that your friend is at fault, but you have to agree that there are some plausible explanations for what happened that don't involve a manufacturing defect. Is a defect possible? Sure, but you'll have to convince Honda...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't think Honda is going to replace it under warranty. They are going to assume the same thing I did. My money is on your neighbor accidentally busting the glass. Probably will cost 3-500 bucks to replace.(just guessing)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I had the rear glass break in my van with no explanation. Then it occurred to me that the neighbor's gardeners had been there and they may have thrown up a rock that caused it. I think it could be hit by something small, even while driving and not really shatter until later. It may even have been hit by something carried inside. Not necessarily shut down on it but loads shift when driving. I have not really looked at the back of the Insight very closely (wife has it full of stuff mostly) but are there any tie downs? This may serve as a cautionary tale. Secure loads!

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's a good point. It could have very easily been chipped or cracked by any number of things and could have gone unnoticed until a good solid closing of the hatch finally caused it to fail.

To the OP, here's the thing: we have nothing to gain by coming up with plausible alternative explanations for how this could have happened. Honda, on the other hand, has something to lose, so, I just think it's going to be hard to convince them that it's a defect and not one of the *several* other realistic scenarios presented here.

Have you contacted your insurance? For over a $1000, it may be worth it to get them involved. Then again, I imagine your premium may go up after a claim, so depending on what your deductible is, it may be borderline if it's worth it in the long run...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I was looking at my hatch and thinking of this thread today. The thing that came to my mind is not whether or not you neighbor broke your windshield; it's how did she break it. IMO there is a 1% chance I'm wrong.

There is no way Honda is going to fix it for free.

You have to be careful who you lend your vehicles to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Closure

Thanks to all who contributed constructive, non-speculative, and specific information!

My local dealership (Honda Capitol) was very responsive and through them I contacted Honda America. Unfortunately Honda's policy is that any glass breakage is always inconclusive so they deffer any payment to the car's insurer.

In my case, Geico, does cover glass under comprehensive but since I have a high deductible (because I bet on not using it) it made sense to pay out of pocket. In other states (not in CA) there is no deductible for glass.

The dealership quoted the glass alone at $800--a deal breaker. I therefor called around and had it installed for $389 through "Local Auto Glass". They came to my house and did the whole thing in 1hr. The technician's speculation was that the glass somehow chipped in transit and when my friend closed the hatch it just shattered.

Once again thank you all for your positive contributions.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
While the technicians theory is possible, IMO, it is highly unlikely. In over 20 years of driving, I have never seen a rear or even side glass that was broken by flying road debris.(minus deliberate damage) It has always been the front windshield. At least you got it fixed for under 400 bucks. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts