Honda Insight Forum banner

Rear wiper banished forever!!!!!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  eastender43 
#1 ·
I hated the way the dorky rear wiper looked,and it was only marginally functional....Now I use rain-X.....It sure looks nicer without that exposed wiper hardware screwing up the lines of the hatch.Currently I left the Motor stub in place and capped it with a nice little black vinyl cap...

.After removal,I noted my mileage went up 3.1 mpg!....

Ha!...Just threw that in to get some responses... my next step is to remove the wiper motor completely,and seal the hole in the glass with a nice factory looking plastic cap,siliconed in place....More aero benefits!Ha!

#2 ·
Search for "wiper plug", I posted the part number of a wiper plug used on early 90's Civic VX's where the rear wiper was an option. The plug is the same size and fits perfectly in the Insight. I had mine removed for a while.

#4 ·
I shoulda knowed betta

That someone has done about everything before .....tahnks for humoring me on this one....I will try to think of something that hasn't been done......and search it better first!.....Thanks,Though,this is a great board..

And my repaired 2002 Red is great,86K,55.2 LMPG,original tires,Wisconsin winters!

#8 ·
wisconsin

I live in Amery....work in Durand....race bikes all over,including Madison...Funny,there is another red Insight in the Amery area,but I rarely see it.....It only requires the removal of one nut,with a 10 mm wrench ,to remove the arm....Just flip up the cover at the base of the arm,unscrew the nut,then wiggle the arm to get it to release from the splines,and presto,no more ugly wiper...I can send you the nice little vinyl widget I used to cover the bare spline...for free,I have dozens...also could send a photo of the mod as is...Best,Bob

#10 ·
clean it first then drive

I scrape/brush the hatch glass clean before I start driving;on the road it seems to stay quite clear due to the aerodynamics.My driving is all rural highways,with no stops.The wiper was pretty poor at moving snow anyhow.Plus there is the hotwire defrost,and 2 door mirrors....Frankly,it hasn't been a problem.And clearing the hatch glass is alot easier with the wiper gone....plus I feel like I removed a sliver from the Insight's paw...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.