Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang! got a q for ya:

any problems with using a MUCH longer wiper in the back? say about 4" longer on each end? the stock setup leaves a lot of rear view missing. the only problem i can think of is loading down the wiper motor with higher drag on the window and higher wind resistance on the up-stroke.

another choice i guess would be to get a longer arm to move the whole swept area up and over a few inches.

andy g.

·
Registered
109 Posts
HafNHaf said:
hey gang! got a q for ya:

any problems with using a MUCH longer wiper in the back? say about 4" longer on each end? the stock setup leaves a lot of rear view missing. the only problem i can think of is loading down the wiper motor with higher drag on the window and higher wind resistance on the up-stroke.

another choice i guess would be to get a longer arm to move the whole swept area up and over a few inches.

andy g.

I think the curvature of the window may be the reason why they made it so short. I found this irk-some as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put a front wiper on the rear and it works great. Much better view in the rain.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JeffKinTN: thats what i thought, but there does not seem to be much curve in that area.

lonox: i was thinking of trying that too, but then i looked over to my wifes minivan and saw the monster wiper that thing has on it. i might try that one on for size.

andy g.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You can put on a larger wiper with no detrimental effects. From (hazy) memory I think the largest (practical) wiper (before you hit the curve) for the rear windscreen is 19", which I used on one of my Insights. There is a topic on this somewhere on the Forum. HTH.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My wiper can beat your wiper

I have a 20" one back there... which is academic, since I have used it maybe twice, all my windows have RainX and unless there's severe bird poop on the back hatch (loooong story, don't ask), the window normally stays clear (must be that low coefficient of drag). Front: Driver's 24", Passenger 19". No clearance issues. :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i think i will rain-x all the windows, and try some anti-fog on the inside too. as bad as the rear/side view is, i am willing to try lots of tricks to help me see the other cars out there.

andy g.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
If I remember right, I put 19 inches on all of them.

Some smart person here said they use 19 inches on all of them and when they driver's one gets older, they move it to the passenger side and move the passenger side to the rear.

That seemed really smart, as the driver one is the most important, and that way they don't have to replace as often.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wipers

figgy said:
If I remember right, I put 19 inches on all of them.

Some smart person here said they use 19 inches on all of them and when they driver's one gets older, they move it to the passenger side and move the passenger side to the rear.

That seemed really smart, as the driver one is the most important, and that way they don't have to replace as often.
YIKES! I always want to see in all directions. What about that bicyclist/motorcyclist/loose child in the street, dressed in black?

I don't much care for the wipers...really missing the variable-interval dial my previous car had, and the interval setting for the rear.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Are you implying that maybe I should take the tinfoil off the windows as well?

I thought that it would protect the passersby from the emf blasting out from the dangerous electrons let loose in the wiring upon IMA activation!

:wink:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe we should chip in and buy an EMF-powered pot-stirrer....... :twisted:

andy g.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts