Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 2010 EX with 53K miles for sale. It does have a rebuilt title.

I understand that rebuilt titles very well could be a concern, but here is my thought.

KBB has not been kind to the Insight. This means that it really doesn't take all that much for the insurance company to total it. I suspect that a fairly minor front end whack requiring replacement of bolt on stuff could do it. I am reasonably mechanically inclined so I would think I could tell if something has had a shoddy repair that will fall off in 2 months.

What say you folks?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. The warranty for the battery is void because it's been totalled, and it probably sat for at least for a few months before being auctioned off, then probably sat again while being repaired.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good points and can be used as tools to negotiate a price.

Buying a used car, is by definition a risk. It all comes down to weighing risks vs rewards. IMO, if something is a few grand cheaper taking the risk of having to replace a pack that may or may not fail, may be a worthy risk.

What would you value a 2010 EX with 53K at? Assuming it looks/drives good at this time? The asking price is 5800.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We have had a couple of totaled salvage title Insights that seemed to have been rear ended. In that case the IMA battery is OK, but the rest of the electronics back there, not so much. Proceed with caution. Be prepared to spend a lot in repairs.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Can they provide you with the pictures of the accident before repairs?

Will you drive it into the ground?

Do you care if it has zero value when YOU go to sell it?

No one can answer these for you. It's personal choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can they provide you with the pictures of the accident before repairs?

Will you drive it into the ground?

Do you care if it has zero value when YOU go to sell it?

No one can answer these for you. It's personal choice.
Don't know about pictures yet. I have not seen the car or even talked to the seller yet.

I would drive it into the ground, dig it up, drive it into the ground again.

Don't much care about resale. They are generally ready for the boneyard when I am through with them.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
kbb is slightly more useful for G2 than G1. kbb indicates a salvage title can impact value by about 20%.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the Insight for a quick test ride. I was very impressed. The owner says it was hit in the front corner, lightly. I could see no signs of any structural issues. It drives like new. IMA guage shows charge/assist as you would expect. Looks extremely clean underneath. He said car is from Maryland which means likely means it hasn't seen much salt. There are a few light scrapes on the rear bumper, and very light scuffs on one door, but other than that it looks nearly new.

KBB says 6400 for an EX of this mileage/condition. I think knocking off a grand for the rebuilt title is probably fair. Still would like to go look at a G1, but I am leaning towards making an offer on it.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Took the Insight for a quick test ride. I was very impressed. The owner says it was hit in the front corner, lightly. I could see no signs of any structural issues. It drives like new. IMA guage shows charge/assist as you would expect. Looks extremely clean underneath. He said car is from Maryland which means likely means it hasn't seen much salt. There are a few light scrapes on the rear bumper, and very light scuffs on one door, but other than that it looks nearly new.

KBB says 6400 for an EX of this mileage/condition. I think knocking off a grand for the rebuilt title is probably fair. Still would like to go look at a G1, but I am leaning towards making an offer on it.

Look for vin tag on hood, front end, bumper, fenders, doors, trunk lit etc to see what got replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts