Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that if you run the AC at idle for even a few minutes, that as soon as you start driving, you'll get a recal. Maybe it's a 2000/2001 thing as it has done this with both engines and trannies. Just wanted to put that out there. Kinda strange

·
Registered
364 Posts
Recal with A/C?

Dan,
That is strange. Shouldn't be happening... When they replaced your IMA battery pack did they update anything else? They're supposed to. Newer Insight's, like mine, don't get recal's. A/C puts quite a load on, when's the last time you did your 12vdc battery connections?

You could do an ECM reset, with everything off, pull under dash fuse # 18 for 10 seconds. Then start it, don't need to rev the engine, just let it idle as the battery comes back up. May need to reset it one or two more times, battery should come all the way up.

This may not help you much though, sounds like you have something else going on, like the grounds. You wanted to see my MIMA, we could do the grounds and check the car, OBD and otherwise. Probably take 30 minutes. Give me a call. Jack

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the grounds

we could do the grounds and check the car, OBD and otherwise
Sounds like a plan. When I talked to you, I hadn't seen this post. Later

·
Registered
364 Posts
Help?

Looks like we need help. Dan and I got together, had a good time driving each others car. We did his grounds and such, had some lunch, a fun time.

His Whomobile is doing something strange, got us both scratching our heads;
"His car is doing something strange. Assist appears to be normal. Regen
appears to come on a little slow and a little weaker. When you lightly touch the brake to get full regen you only get a little more.

If you let the car idle for awhile with the AC on, then drive away (AC still
on or off) the car does a recal. I suspect doing same with other 12v loads
would produce a recal. No trouble codes...

I put a volt meter on the 12v battery, car off, about 12.6 volts. Idling
13.4 volts, so I guess the MCM is doing it's thing. Seems like all of this
would have something in common... Any ideas?", Help

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Jack you did suggest the IMA reset proceedure, but was one done and if so what were the results :?:

IIRC Dan has replaced his batteries twice with used parts. Unclear whether or not he got the updated MCM & BCM in the process. AFAIK you'd have to check the PN's on the units themselves.

IIRC early model 2000's also allowed the 12v system to totally drain the 144v pack thru the dc-dc converter if a 12v drain was present. Maybe a recall (not recal ;) ). Maybe look there too.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
IMA Reset

John,
We did the IMA reset procedure, batt pack came up with two resets without reving engine. Everything appeared normal, still recal's after idling awhile with AC on, then driving away.

I don't think he had the BCM or MCM replaced. Thanks, I'll check the part numbers for them, see what options he may have. Would there be an issue with using them from a junk yard?

I'll check the owners link for recall's. Dan's got about 240K+ miles, would they still honor the recall, if there is one? Thanks, Jack

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
"All cars run on used parts" so as long as you find a good MCM & BCM there should be no issues. However, for the extra "protection" their reported to give the 144v batteries its probably too late. You may be dealing with another IMA pack problem. And not too unexpectedly given used parts were involved. Still, I'd spend some time eliminating the other potential sources before jumping to conclusions. :)

Recalls (NOT recals) are for the life of the car. No limits. :) Should be able to find any / all that apply here:

NHTSA
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

HTH! :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks

Yeah, agreed on the used parts. Looked up the numbers, all years have different part numbers for the BCM's & MCM's except for '02 & '03, their the same. Batt pack could be an issue, except assist is all the way there, and doesn't seem to depleat too quickly. Just the regen is weak... :?

Thanks for the link, no recall's, except for that head light switch... Just seems like one of those problems where the issue is right in front of me trying to get my attention, and I'm just not "seeing" it. Oh Well...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
recalls

I checked the owner's link page and I've had them both done. I think this problem was present BEFORE the 144v pack was replaced. I'm pretty sure the problem would be the MCM. Is that part of the IMA pack or is it a separate part?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts