Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the way to work, I had a recal about 20 miles into the trip. It did it's usual thing with the forced charge to halfway up the little battery picture and then it didn't charge any more. I figured that it would finish on the way home, but never got any higher. A couple of times it would drop a couple of bars when I was climbing a long grade and then it would go back into forced charge until the same point was reached. When this has happened before, it would get to full charge on the SOC (or 1 bar low) by the time I got to work.
I figured that it would get to full by the time I got home, but it is still halfway up the battery and I drove it about 75 miles with it not going any higher. My mileage really wasn't affected much considering the forced charge.
Going down some long grades, I let up so it would charge more, but the charge didn't seem to change. I even drove in 3rd so it would run about 3000 rpm for a while to see if that would help, but that didn't either.
Any suggestions?
It's got 37000 miles now.
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I did it. It sure was uncomfortable running the engine at 3500 with no load. It only took 4 minutes to get to full charge. How do you know you are at full charge? The engine, even though it appears to not be under a load, suddenly has no charging load and jazzes up to 4K in a hurry.
I hope that does it. I guess it is stupid to ask why, but I'm going to anyway.
Should I also do the BCM reset? When I changed my battery a few weeks ago, I used jumper wires to keep power to the car if that makes any difference.
Thanks for your help mr. Trekker.
robert

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
originalbadbob said:
<snip>

Should I also do the BCM reset?

<snip>
You just did :!: :wink:

MCM, BCM, IMA resets are manual recalibrations. Something that may need to be forced in some circumstances. A recalibration or recal for short is an automatic reset of the variety above.

However, there are other battery problems that this will not help. This is only a first step and may not be sufficient in and of itself. Time will tell.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery condition seems to be back normal now after a couple of days of commuting. The IMA assist seems to happen more now than before. This whole thing is a little unsettling, but the car is running well and my mileage is pretty good for the terrain. I guess nobody really knows for sure what is going on with any of it.
Thanks for your help.
robert

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John,
Thanks for the link. I had already been through most of it, and it still seems like some very educated guesswork, but it has been very helpful.
I suppose there are no definite answers but time will tell.
What, exactly is a gauge light peskiness mod?
Thanks for your help.
robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts