Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up to 90K miles (new batt pack at 30K) on my 2000 Insight and have had few problems. Recently though if I sit at a stop light for a minute or more while the motor is auto stopped (idle-stop) and then drive away my SOC state of charge meter begins plummeting downward, usually to the bottom. I've learned that if I don't allow auto-stop to occur that this behavior doesn't happen. I've also tried keeping my fairly new 12v battery on a charger so that's it's around 13volts but I still have this irritating behavior after a one-minute auto-stop. Otherwise my Insight is great and the battery pack seems healthy, great on trips and up hills, around town - until I let it sit without the motor running for more than approximately 30 seconds to one minute. More than a minute and my SOC meter will undergo a complete recalibration. Less than a minute and it will plummet but then stabilize before hitting bottom, then rapidly come back up to at least the half way point.
PLEASE - does anyone know why it's doing this? I'm dismayed to say the least!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
When I experience this with the i2 its when the hybrid pack was depleasted for powering the 12 volt side. Seems from what I can see it cant track or measure whats being used for the "alternator" for the 12 volt side.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,713 Posts
I think what Artic is saying............is "load test" the 12V battery.
That is where the battery is loaded with a large amount of "amps" for a specific amount of time.
The wandering idle speed could be because the IMA system is trying to charge the 12V battery while at idle. Hook up a 12V meter to the battery and see what the voltage is before you first start the car in the AM. It should be at least 12.3V. When you turn the ignition key to ON, the voltage will probably be around 11.7. On starting the vehicle the voltage will probably read 14.2-14.4 during warm up.
If when you turn the key to ON, (Don't start) the voltage reads below 11 volts that is a good indication the battery is weak........HTH
(MY OPINION)
Willie

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
While in auto-stop, your car continues to use power from the HV battery. My assumption is that you are recal-ing after draining it for a few minutes.

I'm up to 90K miles (new batt pack at 30K) on my 2000 Insight and have had few problems. Recently though if I sit at a stop light for a minute or more while the motor is auto stopped (idle-stop) and then drive away my SOC state of charge meter begins plummeting downward, usually to the bottom. I've learned that if I don't allow auto-stop to occur that this behavior doesn't happen. I've also tried keeping my fairly new 12v battery on a charger so that's it's around 13volts but I still have this irritating behavior after a one-minute auto-stop. Otherwise my Insight is great and the battery pack seems healthy, great on trips and up hills, around town - until I let it sit without the motor running for more than approximately 30 seconds to one minute. More than a minute and my SOC meter will undergo a complete recalibration. Less than a minute and it will plummet but then stabilize before hitting bottom, then rapidly come back up to at least the half way point.
PLEASE - does anyone know why it's doing this? I'm dismayed to say the least!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know my elbow from my ***...

I was wrong when I confidently dismissed my 12v battery as the cause of my ills. After getting your posts in reply to my troubles I checked my battery and found that the posts had been loosely bolted on over some kind of greasy goo. There wasn't much good lead to battery terminal contact going on so I cleaned it all off with a wire brush, tightened it down and charged it overnight. Since then a week has elapsed and I can once again allow auto-stop to work its mojo. I also bought a battery charger that desulfates lead acid batteries so that my fleet might have a longer life span. Cheers, and thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts