Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bam!

Honda issues major recall due to possible backup camera issues

First recall. Will be calling the dealer in a bit to schedule an appointment. It doesn't sound like it will take much time to complete.
Beat me to posting this. I was going to post this link:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/364059/honda-recalls-200k-cars-in-us

I wonder if they can update some of the cars through WiFi? Would be nice if so. It's cool that Teslas can get major upgrades over the air but also scary as to how much power they can have over your car without you doing anything or wanting anything.

As for this recall, I wonder what the issue is exactly... like the view doesn't display or the guide lines are wrong or image is distorted in a dangerous way or what..... I haven't noticed any problems with my rear-view camera but that doesn't mean that it's always given me a proper image.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Despite that the car has the ability to receive updates over WiFi, it appears this one had to be done at the dealer. Could be related to it being an official recall or because it is a firmware update instead of a normal software update.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dealer Messed up My Config after Backup Camera Recall Update!

I just got back from the recall update of the software for my backup camera.

Apparently the update set the entire main panel back to default! Historical mileage, screen configuration, bluetooth connections and radio presets are GONE. I have a call into the manager. I was told there would be no change to the configuration when I dropped the car off - this was not the case. I now need to spend the next hour setting everything back.

Be aware of this when you take your car in as the service adviser, who misled me, checked with the shop foreman (after the fact) and confirmed they do not back anything up, so there's no way to get it back. I dread the thought that this can happen whenever there is a software update.

Yes, even my Rick and Morty clock face needs to be re-uploaded!

Yep, I'm pissed. Do you think I'm overreacting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read the dealer instructions and it specifically states that they are supposed to take note of all preferences and set them back up after it is complete.

While they can't pair your phone or put your background back, they should have done the rest and told you beforehand.

Did it reset the trip mileage as well? I'm guessing it did, which stinks as my trip b is the lifetime mpg on the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just got back from the recall update of the software for my backup camera.

Apparently the update set the entire main panel back to default! Historical mileage, screen configuration, bluetooth connections and radio presets are GONE. I have a call into the manager. I was told there would be no change to the configuration when I dropped the car off - this was not the case. I now need to spend the next hour setting everything back.

Be aware of this when you take your car in as the service adviser, who misled me, checked with the shop foreman (after the fact) and confirmed they do not back anything up, so there's no way to get it back. I dread the thought that this can happen whenever there is a software update.

Yes, even my Rick and Morty clock face needs to be re-uploaded!

Yep, I'm pissed. Do you think I'm overreacting?
Wow... that sucks! Maybe they will improve the process for people who get it done later. I'm in no rush to get the update so I can wait.

I'd be a bit pissed too especially if I was lead to believe nothing would be lost.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read the dealer instructions and it specifically states that they are supposed to take note of all preferences and set them back up after it is complete.

While they can't pair your phone or put your background back, they should have done the rest and told you beforehand.

Did it reset the trip mileage as well? I'm guessing it did, which stinks as my trip b is the lifetime mpg on the car.
Current trip mileage (A and B) are still there. It only wiped the historical numbers.

Where can I find a copy of the dealer instructions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Current trip mileage (A and B) are still there. It only wiped the historical numbers.

Where can I find a copy of the dealer instructions?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCRIT-18V629-9249.pdf

I initially read this last week and I re-read it today, my memory was a little off. It doesn't specifically state for them to tell you until after they are done that you have to re-pair your devices, but it does tell them they need to write down your audio unit presets and restore them.

It really should say to notify customers before it starts but I guess it doesn't, and certainly doesn't make clear that more than audio presets and paired devices are affected. :(

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
The last line explains the paired devices. (Bummer, after it is all over)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just got my "official" notification of this recall in the mail today... nothing surprising except for this yellow insert (see photo). Basically it says there will be no audio software updates until this recall is complete. I wonder what exactly that means... might my radio/SiriusXM stop working or not get bug fixes?

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Al.

The camera update is a firmware fix and not just just a software patch. They re-flash the entire audio system, and it will reset to factory defaults. I am guessing any new software patches will look for a minimum firmware level to ensure compatibility, hence, the note you received. Everything should continue to work, but you won't get the latest fixes or enhancements until you do the recall. Since the recall only takes about 45 minutes (tops), I'd recommend getting it out of the way. Just write down your radio presets and historical MPG information ahead of time as it is not backed-up/restored during the process (even though the radio presets should have been noted and re-input by the tech doing the update per the technical service bulletin instructions).

Don

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'll probably wait to get it done until I need to go to the dealer for something else...... like my first oil change. Right now I don't see the point of going just for this recall... unless maybe I could use a free car wash. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll probably wait to get it done until I need to go to the dealer for something else...... like my first oil change. Right now I don't see the point of going just for this recall... unless maybe I could use a free car wash. :D
Read my last comment in the "SRS Recall" thread. I hope your camera recall experience does not go down like mine did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had mine in for the backup-camera recall fix. All of the historical information appears to be intact, including the radio presets. All I had to do was re-pair my phone. The service advisers didn't seem to know much about the recall, but the techs apparently knew what all to do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just had mine in for the backup-camera recall fix. All of the historical information appears to be intact, including the radio presets. All I had to do was re-pair my phone. The service advisers didn't seem to know much about the recall, but the techs apparently knew what all to do.
That's good. I was hoping that if I waited then there was a better chance the recall could be done with fewer annoying side-effects due to an improved process and/or more knowledgeable and experienced technicians.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts