Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I just bought a 2000 5 speed and drove it up the east coast to home, about 800 miles. During the trip there were 3 or 4 recals. The battery charge meter showed about half most of the time. I tried to charge it the whole way with no real success. It took about 5 miles of driving with the 3 or 4 bars of charge indicator to get the battery meter to go up one bar. Finally, it got over the 2/3 level or so and stoped the auto charging while cruising. Then the battery meter suddenly jumped to full. A couple of minutes later the meter dropped to almost empty, about two bars. It then took a very long time to get it back up to half way, again, about five miles per bar. This happened a few times. We are afraid that the battery may be dead. We got 42 mpg over 800 miles. What should we do? I have been reading that the dealers don't want to admit to failures. The IMA error light never turned on. Please help, we are worried. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Hi, Sunhunter!

First off, congratulations on your puchase! I hope you will enjoy the car, even if it has some quirks...

Now to the bad news: Read up on this site and on the yahoo group about recalibrations. From what you are saying, you possibly have the most severe case reported so far.

You didn't mention the mileage of the car. If it is below 80000, I suggest you start fighting with Honda for a warranty repair. They will first ignore you, telling you the behavior is normal. But you must persist! (Threatening lawsuits and publication of the issue have worked for others.)

I can only wish you good luck and ask to keep posting your progress here!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ouch, sounds like the car is as bad as Drew's was (he got his car fixed finally). If your on the inside of 80,000 miles you've got a fight on your hands. You'll probably have unfotunately take it to a lawyer, but it sounds like you deffinitely have a dying battery. For refernce could you possibly post the last 4 digits of the car's vin number? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Could it not be the 12V battery? Do I remember reading that a failing 12V battery causes problems with the IMA management?

My other thought is to ask how long the car had been sitting around before you bought it? The battery pack might take some warming up / usage before meeting the IMA normal parameters & prevention of recals.(?)

Congratulations on your Insight. Sorry to hear about your recals but I am sure you will find a solution.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes I can be the 12v battery.

Replace the 12v battery.
Change the oil- use correct kind and amount
increase tire PSI.

Then see who the car drives.

Keep us posted :arrow:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fellow Insighter,
I'm sorry to hear that you are worried about a possible dead battery pack in your Insight. Although the fuel mileage for your first trip wasn't as impressive as you might expect and the battery State Of Charge meter displayed odd values, I wouldn't get too worried if I were you.
During the first month of driving the Insight it is difficult to get EPA estimated efficiency especially during the winter months. A couple of things that can seriously lower mileage results to the tune of say 10 to 25 MPG are low tire pressures and cold outside air temperature (below 40 or 32 degrees fahrenheit).
It takes a little getting used to driving for maximum efficiency. In my experience driving, to get the best use of the electric motor assist I must push down the pedal slightly and then a second or two later loosen up on the pedal. It's as if depressing the pedal tells the battery pack to send current to the electric motor and then when taking some of the pressure off the pedal it tells the motor to actually use that current to run the motor.
As for the battery pack State Of Charge, the car has probably been sitting in some parking lot for a while and hasn't seen a "healthy" battery recalibration since it was owned by the previous owner. Therefore, during your long drive back home, the IMA battery management devices probably decided it was time to figure the "true" battery state of charge values. Being the IMA indicator light has not lit yet, I doubt the battery is fully incapable of maintaining a sufficient charge. If after a month of driving, you continually note the same SOC results, and do not get assist or get very little assist, then you probably have a case to speak with Honda about. If I were you I would either push the IMA system to work hard for a month's worth of driving or be very light with the amount of assist for a month.
As Armin and Rick said, referencing your VIN # and current odometer reading would be good. The VIN would be helpful to compare other VINs together, and the mileage on the IMA system would be helpful to figure if you are still warranted or out of warantee for the IMA system.
I'm sure we all hope the best of luck with you and your vehicle.
~Martin
Recycled
2000 5 Spd

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
sunhunter said:
My dad and I just bought a 2000 5 speed and drove it up the east coast to home, about 800 miles. During the trip there were 3 or 4 recals.

<snip>

We got 42 mpg over 800 miles. What should we do? I have been reading that the dealers don't want to admit to failures. The IMA error light never turned on. Please help, we are worried. Thanks.
42 MPG for a "broken in" Insight is poor. Most likely its related to your undeveloped driving style and will contribute to IMA recals.

I'd try the reset procedure first.

And read my earlier post:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

To do the reset is very easy.

Turn the ignition OFF and remove the number #18 BACKUP (7.5A) fuse from the under dash fuse box for 10 seconds or more. Then replace it.

Now open the hood, find the fuse box and remove the #15 (40A) fuse. The label should say power steering.

DO NOT REPLACE THE FUSE AT THIS TIME.

Start your engine, your IMA battery level indicator will now show an SOC (State of Charge) of 0, no bars will be lit. Next rev and hold the engine to around 3,500 RPM's with NO LOAD (in neutral for 5spd) (in park for CVT) until the IMA battery level indicator is at least 1 bar from the top.

This should take only a few minutes.

With the IMA SOC indicating "full" turn the car OFF and reinstall the #15 fuse (40A).

Now go drive your car _easy_ for a few miles and see if the problem of poor mileage and frequent recals is fixed.

Please note when the 12v battery is disconnected for any reason you do the same as this reset.

HTH!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Where are you at btw? Maybe a fellow Insighter could give you an experienced second opinion.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! This is actually another insight to add to the family. I have had my own for about half a year now, and get decent mpg. My mom also has one and my parents also get decent milage. So, I know it is not driving style. This new addition has a little over 50k miles. We have not seen this happen with our other insights. We will check out the 12V battery and also try the forced parking lot charge. Thanks again for the responses. Oh yeah, I live in CT and my parents live in MA.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sunhunter:

Make sure you keep a log of t5he SOC recalls and mileage. This may help you plead your case to honda if you need to. Good luck.
____
Bill

·
Registered
242 Posts
recals and 12V batteries?

Sunhunter,

good luck with whatever is happening with your car. I wouldn't count on a replacement 12V battery being the cure. I had more recals AFTER I replaced the 12V battery than I did before. Just my experience, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
not the 12V battery

The Silver Streaker said:
Could it not be the 12V battery?
There has been some anecdotal evidence on the yahoo group. But some of the people who reported improved recal behavior after replacing the little one had to correct their enthusiasm after a few weeks.

Looking at the system, there is nothing that the 12V battery could do to contribute to the recal problem.

But in any case, if it's a 2000, it likely needs a new 12V anyway. And it's a cheap replacement (compared to the 144V battery), so it can't hurt!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sunhunter:

Any followup on the charging problem. Did the forced charge rectify the situation?
___
Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
William said:
Sunhunter:

Any followup on the charging problem. Did the forced charge rectify the situation?
___
Bill
My dad is going to take it to the dealer. No word yet, but I will post the results. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
sunhunter said:
My dad is going to take it to the dealer. No word yet, but I will post the results. Thanks again for the help!

They're going to keep it for a few hours and tell you there's nothing wrong with it. I hate to say it, but you probably have quite a fight on your hands. Do not let them win, there are several examples you can use in your fight. Try to be nice about it, maybe the service manager will listen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dad's car seems to be fixed. First try, the dealer replaced one of the electronic boxes. After this did not work, the dealer replaced the battery pack. The battery seems to be acting good, like the one in my insight at least.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hunter

G

·
0 Posts
sunhunter said:
My dad's car seems to be fixed. First try, the dealer replaced one of the electronic boxes. After this did not work, the dealer replaced the battery pack. The battery seems to be acting good, like the one in my insight at least.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hunter
Just like that you got a new 144v battery?! Did they find an error code, and if so do you know what it was?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I know is that it was replaced under warranty and was at the dealer a couple of times. The first time they thought the control box would fix it and the second time they put in the new battery pack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts