Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My five month old (non-hybrid) battery died cause my car's been sitting in my driveway, barely used. We took it to be recharged but when we hook it back up the only thing that works is the alarm which blares constantly. No lights go on anywhere. Even after we pulled the alarm fuse, nothing lights up, nothing when we turn the key. And since it's dead we'd have to tow it to the mechanic! Can't find anything online like this. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
Before connecting the battery posts, turn the ignition on, like in the run position, and try connecting the battery. Sometimes when a battery dies or is disconnected the alarm tries to go off as it thinks you are trying to steal the car. Usually if the key is in the on position it will recognize everything properly. It may make a slight horn or chirp when connecting the battery and then be ok.

Please report back, to help others.

Scott

·
Registered
85 Posts
That does not sound like a factory alarm.... does the car have a dealer installed alarm, or a blinking light or black box attached to the underside of the dash above the drivers left knee?

The factory alarm should turn off if you press the unlock button on the remote.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That is not the car theft alarm but just the horn blaring to warn you that the battery is connected IN REVERSE! Did you connect or charge it the wrong way?
For a test, run a voltmeter over the terminals and if you don't have that, just swap the + and - terminals and try again! Then it will either be completely dead or power up the car, but you cannot use it like that.
If the terminals were swapped just install them correctly and try again.
If though the battery was indeed charged up the wrong way it is toast. Get another battery.

Once a battery has run flat you cannot trust it anymore anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
That’s a new one on me, I’ve never heard of a car horn or alarm going off if you connect the battery backwards.
Typically, a battery hooked up in reverse or backwards results in a blown main fuse. The OP said no light or anything working on the dash, so maybe it has been hooked up incorrectly and blew the main fuse.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,974 Posts
It is pretty hard to hook a battery up backwards. The battery posts are different sizes.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It is hard to reverse the terminals, but it isn't hard at all to charge a battery the wrong way. It will just take charge reversed as well, but the plates will be warped.

I read about the horn reverse polarity signal somewhere in the manual, but could not find it?
Anyway, the Internet knows:
I hooked the battery reverse polarity..horn and put battery on backwards and Effects of reversing battery polarity - with fixes.
The horn works both ways so a simple diode is enough to make this work. Unfortunately, in most cases of reversing polarity the main fuse also blows. But then the damage if it didn't would probably be bigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before connecting the battery posts, turn the ignition on, like in the run position, and try connecting the battery. Sometimes when a battery dies or is disconnected the alarm tries to go off as it thinks you are trying to steal the car. Usually if the key is in the on position it will recognize everything properly. It may make a slight horn or chirp when connecting the battery and then be ok.

Please report back, to help others.

Scott
Hi, thanks so much for your idea. Finally had a chance to try it yesterday and no dice. Horn just continued to blare with no other lights going . Bogus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That does not sound like a factory alarm.... does the car have a dealer installed alarm, or a blinking light or black box attached to the underside of the dash above the drivers left knee?

The factory alarm should turn off if you press the unlock button on the remote.
It's a factory alarm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is hard to reverse the terminals, but it isn't hard at all to charge a battery the wrong way. It will just take charge reversed as well, but the plates will be warped.

I read about the horn reverse polarity signal somewhere in the manual, but could not find it?
Anyway, the Internet knows:
I hooked the battery reverse polarity..horn and put battery on backwards and Effects of reversing battery polarity - with fixes.
The horn works both ways so a simple diode is enough to make this work. Unfortunately, in most cases of reversing polarity the main fuse also blows. But then the damage if it didn't would probably be bigger.
I'm gonna assume the guy at the mechanic isn't a moron and charged the battery correctly and being car people, we know how to put a battery in and connect it (there's a + and a - right there! Handy!) but the idea of the main fuse being blown is an interesting idea. We'll replace the main fuse and see what we get. Thanks! Will report back.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't want to offend anyone.
Keep in mind that the only thing that was changed on the car before it stopped working was the battery, so if that was charged correctly it should power up the car like normal.
It doesn't work so something is wrong, most likely with that battery. Please don't assume but verify that the battery is charged correctly, preferably with a volt meter.

Mind you I read and checked that the horn will blow if the voltage is the wrong way round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't want to offend anyone.
Keep in mind that the only thing that was changed on the car before it stopped working was the battery, so if that was charged correctly it should power up the car like normal.
It doesn't work so something is wrong, most likely with that battery. Please don't assume but verify that the battery is charged correctly, preferably with a volt meter.

Mind you I read and checked that the horn will blow if the voltage is the wrong way round.
No worries! Not offended. But we will take everyone's suggestions and just buy a new battery and new main fuse and see if that doesn't just fix everything. We will report back! Thank you for your input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts