Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g'day All,

. . . . bought an one owner 2001 w/65k couple years ago. Drove it on occasion. Then almost a year ago IMA light came on and just parked it. I know this is a very DYI place but at this time, i don't have the time nor desire to learn how to tackle the electrical system. Just want/need to get the car running. So, looking for any recommendations for a honest, reputable and fair shop in my area. Redwood City CA 94061. . . . .thx.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Scott's your man!

·
Super Moderator
7,196 Posts
Scott Kulbeck at Jue Motors in Covina. Phone nine oh nine, six oh five, 3810, 9 to 5 only.

Scott is not only best in CA, he is best in the nation. Drive down, take the train home and leave it with him:)

He might resurrect your battery with grid charging. I just got one back for a friend here in Richmond.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. . . . a little reluctant to drive 380 miles to a shop, was thinking there might be someone here on the peninsula or at least in the SF Bay Area . . . . Will call him anyway, maybe he knows someone up here. thx.

·
Super Moderator
7,196 Posts
You might send a PM to Jeff652. I think he is in San Jose. He is the owner of HybridAutomotive, and designer of the Prolong Grid cycling equipment used to resurrect batteries. At one time he did a bit of work on the side. Don't know if he still does. Certainly a master with batteries.

·
Registered
458 Posts
. . . . a little reluctant to drive 380 miles to a shop, was thinking there might be someone here on the peninsula or at least in the SF Bay Area . . . . Will call him anyway, maybe he knows someone up here. thx.
I live in Astoria, OR, the extreme NW corner of Oregon. I made the drive. It was worth it. And I say that with an excellent mechanic here in town. And I have gone to the local guy for over ten years. He's good. He diagnosed a blocked radiator which many folks told me was air in the cooling system. Good thiing I lilstened to him.

But figure out what all your problems are, e-mail Scott to set up a date, drive down. There are places to stay close by. I stay at the Motel 6 because I have a dog. I do not regret the drive down and back. For example: I diagnosed the car as having a cjattering clutch that needed to be replaced. Scott found it to be two motor mounts. If he were dishonest he could have sold me the clutch, not needed, and the motor mounts, needed. His shop is immaculate, he and Jimmy Jue, the honcho, are great guys, as are the other guys and they are thorough-going professionals. Small stuff, yeah, do it local. When I llived in Palo Alto I had a great mechanic in RC. But he's on the Big Island now.

The dealers have a reputation for not knowing this car. Independents are about the same or worse. Scott is 100%. Or you can make a gamble on a local guy who is a good mechanic but does not know Insights. Scott has videos on YouTube: KLR3CYL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
. . . . been doing some reading/research and did came up/onto the Prolong Grid/Hybrid Automotive site. Lots of good info there which was congruent with what i found/learned in my initial search (before i put my head in the sand). Did occur to me try and ask them as well. Looked at their recommended dealers to install the units, i came upon Struken Auto in San Jose. On their site they have pretty detailed explanations about the various ways of approaching battery issues. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with them?

·
Registered
512 Posts
. . . . Scott ?
Sorry about the delay in responding! Looks like someone else answered the question for you. :)

People have driven further to have Scott work on their Insight(s).

·
Super Moderator
7,196 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with them?
My thoughts are that battery cycling usually works. The question is for how long? Some folks maintain batteries for years that way, and at the other extreme some have to do a lot of it and only get 6-12mo. It is hard to generalize. If you keep the car, you need the cycling equipment anyway, even if you have to buy a new battery at some point.

HybridAutomotive produces one of the best quality, most reliable rigs anywhere. They have tons of experience and their cycling routines were developed in cooperation with the Bumblebee battery folks.

If Struken auto is an approved installer, then this is a no brainer option for you. If you don't like to tinker, get the Prolong option with the automated discharger. That way you just set it and leave it for 3 days. (You need to research this with HA. I think I'm right on that.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer the last ?, yes it's time for that as well. Couple weeks ago i talked w/a gentleman who has had one since new (2000). He mentioned that, as his had also been sitting, when he took it in for a smog was told the car needed to have 300-400miles put on it to 'reset ?' before doing the smog . . . . Finding out two things here that became apparent when i was looking (2years) for this vehicle . . . . How sophisticated/ahead of it's time this car really is and how helpful the 'insight community' is . . . . Already talked w/Jimmy, waiting for Scott's call back . . . . thx all.

·
Super Moderator
7,196 Posts
You gotta talk to Scott. The 300-400 miles driving may have to do with setting the ready code, gut I'm really guessing. Doesn't make much sense since you can't drive it without a current pollution inspection. You gotta talk to Scott:)

I'm very lucky here in Southern Virginia that I don't have to deal with pollution inspection.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Actually the Insight sets the Ready code pretty quickly. I talked to somebody today who had reset his codes and it became Ready just by driving to the inspection station.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
It is 3 "cycle" thing on the "ready" issue. Smog compliance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
when he took it in for a smog was told the car needed to have 300-400miles put on it to 'reset ?' before doing the smog
Nope, the car needs CEL off and emission readiness code complete which can happens very quickly.
Having a dead IMA battery will set off the CEL on. If the IMA battery is not completely dead, you can try grid charge, clutch switch, or other things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so, Scott called and we had an extensive conversation until it was time to take his wife out for Vday dinner . . . . with everyone's help these past few days i have a pretty clear understanding of what i did wrong and my options for making it right . . . . now in the process of selling my 'project' sports car that has been languishing to make the blue 'spaceship' right . . . . thank you all very much and will keep you posted, t.

·
Registered
12 Posts
. . . . been doing some reading/research and did came up/onto the Prolong Grid/Hybrid Automotive site. Lots of good info there which was congruent with what i found/learned in my initial search (before i put my head in the sand). Did occur to me try and ask them as well. Looked at their recommended dealers to install the units, i came upon Struken Auto in San Jose. On their site they have pretty detailed explanations about the various ways of approaching battery issues. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with them?
I'm not an expert on these, but I have dealt with dead battery packs and have torn two apart now. Don't make the mistake of thinking a grid charger is a miracle worker. If you leave a battery sit for a year and don't use it, if it's the older battery (green or orange) you're probably best getting a new battery. Sure you can revive it with a grid charger, and then it's going to do the exact same thing a week or two down the road.

These cars are not to be driven once in a while, they like it when they are driven often. The problem is the way you drive it only a few times, you'd void the warranty on a brand new battery as they require you to drive it a certain amount of time I believe it is once every 20 days. If you want a hybrid that you can drive a few times a year and have minimal issues you're going to need a hybrid that uses a lithium battery pack. Nickle Cadmium doesn't like siting for a long time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts