Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Insight, but there is one thing that bugs me. I almost always keep my AC on ECON/AC ON mode, with the Recycle Air button on. Everynow and then the Recycle Air will turn itself off and start pulling air from the outside. I can't figure out why? Does anyone know if there is a timer on it? It's not too big of a deal, it just annoying because I can't figure out why it happens.

Thanks in advance,
bjordan

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had a similar thing happen, and I've wondered if its something to do with the software that controls the automatic climate control, once its achieved the desired air temp it helps modulate that by switching over to outside air. It hasn't happened to me all that often though, as normally I prefer outside air since I usually use ECON/AC Off.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I know this is not answering the question but it seemed like a good place to mention that the AC is always on unless you hit the AC button twice. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
A/C always on how?

b1shmu63 said:
I know this is not answering the question but it seemed like a good place to mention that the AC is always on unless you hit the AC button twice. :)
What do you mean, when the climate control system is in ECON mode, or whenever it's turned on in general? Is the a/c on when "A/C ON" is not displayed on the LCD? What about with just the fan--is the A/C on then?

I've noticed that the temperature of the air through the vents varies depending on which vents I have open.

The OFF and MODE buttons seem to have overlapping functionality to me; I'll have to re-read that section of the owner's manual over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... ntrol.html

Climate control system has 4 modes: AUTO, ECON (A/C ON), ECON (A/C OFF), and OFF. There is also a separate mode for the defroster (2nd large button from left) that I won't discuss any further - it will override everything (air speed, A/C on or off, recirc).

Recirc is reset every time you turn the system OFF. Otherwise it will remember your preference (i.e. it will keep it disabled if you disable it, and enabled if you enable it).

The MODE button can be used to force one of four air output modes (defrost+floor, floor only, floor+dash vents, dash vents only). All the OFF button does is turn the system off. Similarly the FAN button will allow you to force one of four fan speeds.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Most new vehicles do the same thing. Once the set temperature is reached it will mix outside and air conditioned air to maintain the overall temperature. Some vehicles do this more transparently than others. You might also consider that a blast of fresh air once in a while is also nice because it ensures you always have plenty of oxygen inside your vehicle.

And no the compressor is not always on when the AC is set to on. It cycles it on and off as needed.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
There are only two situations when the AC compressor will not be enabled. One is when you hit the "off" button and the LCD screen goes blank, and the other is when the "AC off" is showing on the LCD display. You can verify this by listening for the sound of the compressor. If you want just the fan you have to hit the "AC" button twice and then hit the "fan" button. I never found any official documentation on this. For a few days when I first owned the Insight I thought that the only way to get fresh air without AC was to hit the "off" button and roll down the windows. I was at this time rather disappointed with my mileage, as I did not realize that the mileage displayed was in US gallons not Imperial gallons. I learned some great mileage techniques while vainly struggling to get my mileage up to the 88 MPG Canadian rating, but only managed 83 MPG. What a relief when I discovered that I was actually getting 99 miles to the Imperial gallon and exceeding the Government of Canada ratings by 11 MPG. :shock: I became an Insight evangelist overnight, and that's why the AC thing was a big AHA!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
If you want just the fan you have to hit the "AC" button twice and then hit the "fan" button.
Either you mean the ECON button rather than the AC button, or the Canadian model is differently labelled.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yes, "double click" ECON. I just checked it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts