Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need my Insight to redline at 7000RPM, not 6000.
I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone aho can remap this function.
Any suggestions?
The engine should be good for 10KRPM, altho 7 would be OK.
My '06 turned 250 miles today. Installed my cold air kit.
Love it
Steve

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sguinn45 said:
The engine should be good for 10KRPM
And you came up with this conclusion how? I guess since you own the vehicle it's yours to blow up. Remember it's only a small 3 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
To our knowledge here no one has remapped the computer.

Although I admit sometimes a little more rpm would have been useful, what makes you so sure the engine would survive at higher rpm?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: cold air kit

Sguinn45 said:
I Installed my cold air kit.
Love it
Steve
As a non-automotive tech, what is/does a 'cold air kit' :?:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Your power and torque are falling off at 6K, so even if you could hit 7K you are loosing perfomance not gaining. If you want to gain performance, and can afford to drive without warranty coverage, the turbo mod is probably a good option.

·
Registered
338 Posts
well

i want 0-60 in ten secs

but i drive an insight....

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Re: well

I also do not see the reason for higher red line or why you think the Engine will be happy with it.... or why you want to drive that way in an Insight??? lower rpms = better MPG.

trunkout said:
i want 0-60 in ten secs
but i drive an insight....
a Turbo on an Insight would probably do that... car and driver already rates the stock insight at 0 to 60 in like 10.6 seconds.

again I do not see the reason for this... it seems like you got an insight to save MPG and such... but you seem bent on lowering the MPG as much as possible... It is your car and by all means drive it any way you like.... but I know so many people who test drive my Insight to get a feel for it and when they floor it off of every light and do absolutly everythig wrong when it comes to driving for MPG ... they say it has good pickup and then they say that it is false advertiseing for honda to claim the car gets 60 to 65 MPG , when on thier race course driving they got 40 MPG.... allot of the MPG number is how you drive.... anyone who gets less than 60 MPG on a regular basis in an insight it is at least 90% the drivers fault for the lower MPG..... the Insight was desighned and built for saving gas and still getting you from point a to point b.... drive it anyway you want... But don't expect the car to do miricales for your wasteful driving practices.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
I was curious how fast I would have to be going to even get near red line which I normally never do.....

I was going 60 MPH in 2nd gear before I even got near to 5,000 RPMs ....

hawkGT647 , of course it is fake , but I was curious if there was any possible reason for it, there will always be fake posts, the question is what can we learn from it ..... in order to go 7,000 RPMs in an Insight , you would have to be going like 80MPH in 2nd gear.... probably would hit the speed limiter in the car in third gear before you would ever reach 7,000 RPMs.... and much lower than red line 6,000 RPMs you can peal tire....

so the only reason I can see for wanting to go 6,000 RPMs or over is if you are on a steep enough hill and still want to pass someone that would require you go to about 65 MPH in 2nd gear up this very steep hill in order to have the power to maintain the speed.... I woudl slow down myself ... or shift into 3rd gear.... but it is possible.... but not realistic to ever need such a thing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are you familiar with the phrase, "Coming unglued"??
Engine redlines are usually set by engine mechanical design factors such as valve train. I would guess that valve float would be the first to occur since the valve spring rate is so weak. (ie:bent valve or valves)When I adjusted my valves, I could open the valve with very little pressure with my finger.
I did not and will not try to rev mine to 5000 or above.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Gentlemen, I enjoyed reading your responses. Good to see we are unanimous in our sentiments. Yes you can hit 113 MPH in third, and increasing the RPM won't increase HP without modifying the valve train (and voiding the warranty).

·
Registered
408 Posts
LoNOx 1 said:
Are you familiar with the phrase, "Coming unglued"??
Engine redlines are usually set by engine mechanical design factors such as valve train. I would guess that valve float would be the first to occur since the valve spring rate is so weak. (ie:bent valve or valves)When I adjusted my valves, I could open the valve with very little pressure with my finger.
I did not and will not try to rev mine to 5000 or above.
This brings up a good question... is the Insight engine an interference or non-interference design. (ie do valves hit pistons when they float)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good question!!!
I am fairly certain that since it is an overhead valve design that it would be possible for the valves and piston to impact.
If you have an Insight Service Manual, look at pages 6-3 & 6-4.
I haven't had an Insight engine apart.(yet) Through high school and after for five years, I worked as a mechanic in a Honda motorcycle dealership. I have seen a lot of bent Honda valves. In the mid to late 70's, they did not have rev limiters. You could take an 8000 rpm redline to 12000 (for a little while).

·
Registered
408 Posts
LoNOx 1 said:
Good question!!!
I am fairly certain that since it is an overhead valve design that it would be possible for the valves and piston to impact.
Really? I seem to have heard OHV engines are usually non-interference while OHC's are almost certain to be interference. I have a '70 Lotus Europa project that's powered by an OHV and I know for a fact that it's non-interference. The retainers are the only possible casualty from lots of valve float.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It really doesn't have anything to do with whether it's an OHC or OHV engine. It's just a matter of whether the camshaft is shaped so that the valves and pistons contact each other. There are both interference and non-interference designs with both kinds of valve setup.

If you want to make the Insight into a performance car, the very first thing to do is get rid of the couple hundred or so pounds of IMA system. Then either get a bigger engine or add a turbo.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/feat ... e_View.jpg
[mod note: Please, please, please review the pic posting rule and limit the size :!:]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
If you've seen a few engines torn down after catastrophic failure, you'll
see some with these nice little piston cutouts smacked clean of carbon
after impact. With the bent valves to go with it. ;)

AFAIK piston cutouts for valve "clearance" is not definitive in regard to an
engine being a free-wheeling or impact.

IIRC there were a couple of posts in here of catastrophic Insight timing
chain failure. Don't remember any clarification whether or not valves got
involved.

HTH! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts