Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving a tollbooth today I had the car in "S" mode and gave it 50% throttle, when the revs got up to about 4K or so then mashed the throttle to the floor. For some reason I happened to watch the tach and I noticed the RPMs climb to 6K, the red light blinked (rev limiter), the car hesitated (fuel cut), then when the fuel kicked back in the front wheels spun and the car redlined again. I let off the gas and accelerated lighter and I was just stunned. I was able to duplicate the redlining <sp> at least 2 more times as I tried to figure out what was going on. Simply flooring the car out of nowhere would cause the revs to climb up to 6K RPM. If I eased into the throttle instead of just jamming on it it would stay steady at 5.5K RPM.

I don't know much about automatic transmissions, can someone explain if this could be the equivelant of a standard car's clutch slipping? Could this be CVT-related?

Note: My Insight has 15.8K miles on it and was just serviced (oil change, etc) yesterday.

·
Registered
453 Posts
REDLNR said:
Leaving a tollbooth today I had the car in "S" mode and gave it 50% throttle, when the revs got up to about 4K or so then mashed the throttle to the floor. .

Why are you going full throttle after 4,000 rpms?
Is this your normal style of driving?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Something doesn't sound right there. I thought the CVT would only go to 5000 rpm. If it keeps doing this you might disconnect the 12 volt battery for a few minutes they hooking it back up and see if it manages to reset anything and possibly fix it. This seems to be a way I have fixed several little quirks from time to time on my car. You'll get a recalibration from it, but it might save you the hastle of taking it in. If not I'd say take it to the dealership.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts