Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Insight 5MT w/ AC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my insight for about 3 months now, and as it's gotten more into the summer I've began noticing some odd behavior. The pack is quite old, and I'm assuming it's because of it, but on the tail end of the day I've seen my braking regen diminish to almost half of the charge it can achieve in the morning.

I've also observed the charge state of the battery drop drastically to 1 or 2 bars whenever it reaches about a third-way full.

If the pack is dieing, how long does it have, and would doing the full recharge-discharge-recharge procedure benefit it?

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
The pack might be dying. How long does it have, who knows.
Yes it would certainly benefit from the cycling process. Do it asap before you get an IMA light.

Your reducing regen might also be battery temperature related if you are in hot temps.
Get an OBDIIC&C so you can see what is going on with the pack.

·
Registered
2004 blue insight 5 speed manual
13 Posts
When its super hot out I notice my regen being limited as well, sometimes all the way down to the standard charge rate as you drive and no extra regen on top, It seems purely heat related in mine, as I have a brand new 8Ah bumblebee pack.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've had my insight for about 3 months now, and as it's gotten more into the summer I've began noticing some odd behavior.
My experience was that heat was extra hard on the battery. I installed a clutch switch so I could avoid using the big battery before the car had a chance to cool down inside.

I also did a grid-charge at the start and end of summer and that helped keep things running as expected. Get a cool day to charge, though. Not a good idea when ambient temps are steaming hot!

·
Registered
2004 Honda Insight 5MT w/ AC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get an OBDIIC&C so you can see what is going on with the pack.
Where might I find an OBDIIC&C? I see that you're the inventor of such a tool, are you still making them?

All good advice, I'll look into getting a discharger too. I have a Maxxvolt grid charger that came with the car, is there a preferred discharger that the community likes to use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts