Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when I'm coasting smoothly down a hill and want to brake lightly, it's almost impossible to do so. The regenerative braking seems to act in sort of a binary mode - either none, or "some", with no modulation in between. The charging indicator goes from none to about 25% when I just touch the brakes. I end up braking-not braking-braking-not braking (so I don't slow down too much), inspiring seasickness in my passenger and memories of my dad driving his Volvo (I think he grew up in the days of drum brakes, where you had to do this sort of thing so the brakes wouldn't fade).

Is this just a fact of life with the regenerative braking, or is this something that can be adjusted?

- Bob

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Light touching of the brakes will engage mostly regenerative braking an hardly no manual braking. More aggressive brake pressure reduces the regenerative braking so the manual brakes work. So if you want less regeneration then apply more pedal pressure. It just sounds like you're not used to how the system works.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Keep practicing, might get better, might not.

Or maybe downshift to keep from needing to brake, if it's a significant problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I believe this is how the system works (at least it is the same in my car.) I just let the regen do its thing when letting my foot off the gas and if I need to go slower I will touch the brakes enough to engage the full regen but not so lightly that it turns on and off like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I guess I just need to downshift.

Pretty lame that braking goes from nothing to something without being able to modulate it in between. Oh well, it is the first production hybrid after all - what do I expect?

- Bob

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
Nothing wrong with the system.
It's a driving technigue. It will take a lot of practice, practice, practice to get the feel of it.

Or you can do what some of us "Devoted Insighters" in R&D have done and install a push button switch to activate the brake lights.

This will give you a little better control of the "delicate touch" of the brake pedal.

When you do activate the button, you will slow down more depending on the amount of regen.

BOTOM LINE IS:
If the battery doesn't want a charge, nothing will happen other than your brake lights will be on.

·
Registered
700 Posts
bunner bob said:
... Oh well, it is the first production hybrid after all - what do I expect?

- Bob
I drove a new Prius for 3 days (rental) and the brakes are much less linear than ours.

:wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willie Williford said:
Nothing wrong with the system.
It's a driving technigue. It will take a lot of practice, practice, practice to get the feel of it.
I won't argue with your second sentence, but I will with the first. There is _no_ middle ground between zero regen and what looks like about 25% on the gauge. I'm quite familiar with driving with a delicate touch, and that isn't the issue.

I would think it would be possible for the regenerative braking to come on much more linearly, especially since every other pedal-operated activity can do it - conventional braking, accelerator, clutch. I'm sticking with my opinion that it's a design flaw and deserves some R&D attention.

- Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
The regen is not linear. There is a switch against the brake pedal lever. When you slightly press on the brake, the switch is switched alowing for regen if the other conditions are right. Press down harder on the brake pedal and the mechanical brakes kick in as well. If you are new to the car you may just need a month or so of practice holding your foot in the proper stationary position. If you cannot get stable regen without the mechanical brakes, your switch may not be adjusted right. The switch adjustment sets at what point the switch switches when you press on the pedal. It may be set so that it does not switch until the mechanical brakes are almost engaged. If this is the case, it is possible to back it out some so you have more of a "window" of pedal travel after regen switch on and before mechanical kick in. If you back it out too far, the regen will always be switched on, not a good idea...

Hunter

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Bob, you may be driving in too low a gear ( ie first or second) if you feel that much effect from the regenerative braking. In higher gears the effect is very subtle. Also the higher the state of charge on the batteries the less the effect. Drive to maximise charge and MPG and you will minimise this effect. Honda has engineered the regeneration so that it comes on gradually to prevent a sudden lurch. If you drive aggressively the battery will charge aggressively. If this is not the case you may have a problem with the 12 volt battery that is causing excessive IMA drain. Just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts