Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has come up before and, in one way or another, talked about in numerous threads, however, I would like to present my observation with my 2006 CVT over the last 17,000 miles just to see what all of you think. :roll: On some days since the little baby was new, and at about the same distance driven each time, approx. 5 miles into a 40 mile trip, she would Jerk about 3 times as if the ingnition had been turned off and back on. This happens winter and summer, to say, outside temp. makes no difference. No set pattern of days when it does this and once it happens it doesn't do it anymore for that trip. NOW, I have read several post where owners have heard Relays clicking under or in the instrument panel or even under the hood. OBSERVATION; On the days when the little baby doesn't Jerk, I here this Relay type clicking going on and there's never a jerk, if anything at all the car actually may perform better and smoother. What could it be? Couple of Jerks, NO Clicking :? CLICKING (which I might add, sometimes last a minute or so) she Jerks a couple of times. Remember ;) This is 10 months now and 17,000 miles later, no change :?: I drive 80 to 100+ miles aday highway, 70 to 75 mph. Life Time Average is 54.8 and best oneway hypermiling at 55 to 60 mph was 68.2 :D What Might It Be...Do You Think :?: Oh, and Happy New Year To All...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Jim. :)

Reads like a really complex problem to try and diagnose via a message board. :|

Got an alarm system installed :?: If its malfunctioning (loose wire etc.) then it makes sense as to being the cause.

As new as your car is and as long as your problem has been occuring I doubt the 12v battery could be the cause (low 12v voltage causing computer "confusion"). Testing for low 12v battery internal resistance is an advanced skill not commonly found (or needed) in the field. Read: most automobile repair technicians won't understand the question. And even fewer 12v batteries will fail this way over this long a term. IMO I can't even imagine its possible. The low internal resistance failure is rare enough to begin with.

Battery main cable and engine ground connections could be the culprit. There are several threads in here on the topic. IIRC Yves web pages has a pictorial.

EGR hiccups don't fit the bill either. (many threads too)

When / if the problem progresses sufficiently that its source can be identified then its resolution will be of interest for your fellow Insighters here.

Please keep us posted. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Radiojim,

Others have noticed a stumble or jerk in performance that occurs at about the same place on their drive. Mine happens about 3 miles into the morning drive. However, mine just stumbles once. Since it happens at about the same time..shortly after (3 to 5 minutes) the engine fully heats up I have come to believe it is some transition in the programming from warm-up to normal-drive mode.

That it does it three times with your Insight does sound little strange though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John and Griller,
No aftermarket anything has been added to the car, and the 12 volt battery still checks O.K. That was the first thing that I thought of when it first started this last March with approx. 1400 miles on it.

Most of the time it only jerks once, but on occasion it will jerk 2 or 3 times. To me it seems to be driveline temperature connected. I'm like Griller, it seems to be at about the same spot into the trip each time, give or take a few degrees :shock:

One tech. at the Honda dealership where I ordered it, seemed to think it was simply doing computer updates when the clicking was going on :?: :?: Humm Maybe so, but it's an awful loud computer, if it is ;)

I'm going to check grounds ASAP, but don't think I'll find anything, however, I do want to add 2 or 3 from the body to driveline as more of an insurance policy rather than anything else. I will keep all informed if there's any sort of change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts