Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that is bothering me a bit is the recommended relearn after pack installs.

I'm not sure what the best way to even start a discussion about this would be.

The shop manual has very specific relearn patterns to follow after certain repairs.
None of which are self explanatory especially without the HDS which the manual recommends for every repair :evil:
And the few places that include the diagnostics without the HDS are nice but even the HDS procedures are convoluted.
Anyone who's read the manual will surely remember having to go from section to section following the recommended steps and pre - steps to complete a repair.

Would getting the recommended relearn procedures, for each specific g insight g hch, from the manuals posted be a good thing?
Or would it be better to discuss this in person at events?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive notice that too in the gen 2 insight manual and for the most part I just gloss over that phrase. :evil: Ive found doing what it says and basically ignoring the HDS part seems to still work.

As for the ima pack. Just reinstall it, then disconnect the starter battery for 15 minutes once you got your radio code. Then reconnect it and start the car letting it sit for 15 minutes. Then drive it a few miles it wil lrelearn the idle, ima capacity and other stuff.

For adjusting the cvt clutch pack the manual says something about the HDS. It also says to go 35 mph and coast down in 10 seconds. Myself and a few others have done that and it works without the HDS.

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had the manual in the basement while tearing down the battery.

hch2
PCM Idle Learn Procedure (11-340)
The idle learn procedure must be done so the PCM can learn the engine idle characteristics

Do the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions.

Replace PCM
Reset PCM
Update PCM
Replace or clean the throttle body

Note: Erasing DTCs with the HDS does not require you to do the idle learn procedure
see also: Scan Tool Clear Command (11-4)

1: Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.

2:Reset PCM.

3:Turn ignition switch ON (||), and wait 2 seconds.

4:Start engine, Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194* F (90*C)

5 Let engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.

Note:If the radiator fan comes on, do not include it's running time in the 5 minutes.
Verify the idle learn procedure is complete

hch2
(CKP) Pattern Learn (11-5)

1:Start engine. Hold engine idle speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.

2: Test-drive the vehicle on level road:. Decelerate (with throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of
2,500 rpm down to 1,000 rpm wtih the transmission in 2 position.

3: Test-drive the vehicle in level road: Decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 5,000 rpm down to 3.000 rpm with the transmission in 2 position.

4:Repeat 2 and 3 several times.

5:Turn the engine switch off

6:Turn the ignition switch ON (||), and wait for 30 seconds. The CKP pattern learn procedure is complete.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Sounds like the hds is just used to check and clear codes while the cars computer does all the work on the fly.

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing I've ever been told about the HDS was by a service rep
paraphrasing " yeah the HDS controls all the modules in the car. We can make your gas gauge read empty"
But I guess what it can and can't do depends on the version.
Last I read version 3 was current.

And without printouts, and even with printouts, sheesh - there's no way to tell if what I'm being told was done actually got done or not. ::evil::D:)

·
6,928 Posts
Just disconnect the 12V battery, reconnect and let the car idle. It will charge the IMA battery in an attempt to determine SoC. After a period of time, the gauge will read full. It might also stop after a few bars, if the battery wasn't charged prior to installation. If that happens, you can either drive, or rev to ~3500RPM until the gauge fills up. I prefer to drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts