Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pack continues to deteriorate and today it finally caused the 12V charging system to throw the warning light while driving on a major highway, scaring the living daylights out of me (posted in my older thread earlier about this happening today). I was able to get to my sisters home where I felt I was safe to turn the car off. Luckily flipping the IMA pack switch off has freed the DC-DC convertor from the deteriorated battery pack drain and it is working again though more sensitive to RPM's as usual.

As noted in other threads, I have a pack, with 8Ah cells, that I replaced myself 5 years ago with one purchased online from HyrbidRevolt. Rather than try and diagnose sticks looking for the good and bad, I would rather just rip them all out myself and replace them with standard 6.5Ah sticks. I have a hobbyist background in electronics (FCC amateur and commercial licenses) so I am certain that removing and replacing the old sticks would not be an issue for me over a long weekend. The problem I am running into at the moment is where to find a set of 20 new 6.5Ah sticks tested and ready to be installed. I have seen sticks on AliExpress but the prices they want are more than the cost of buying another rebuilt pack, which I find odd. Plus I do not know the manufacturer or quality or quality of those sticks. It my assumption that replacing the sticks myself would be a more cost effective alternative now as I would not have to pay to ship the heavier new pack nor return the old pack which adds up in UPS charges. I could dispose of the old cells at my town's recycling center rather than return the whole thing.

I have searched threads here but I have had no luck pawing through all the threads finding anything with current information.

Any help is appreciated. The stress of driving this impaired vehicle is building on me daily. I keep searching for a 2017-2018 certified Prius c, which I have become fond of, but people appear to be holding on to them.

Robert,
Silver, '00-#4581

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy a new set from bumblebee batteries or one of the other US suppliers.
Thanks! Rainsux recommended BumbleBee (though I do not see the option for "sticks only" other than $199 for a bunch of old ones - maybe have to message direct). I also saw Greentec Auto that another thread had mentioned though I see no sticks only option either. They do have an included three year warranty which I find appealing.

·
7,238 Posts
We offer batteries with warranties from 1 to 5 years on complete packs. The new Chinese sticks are not cheap, especially with tariffs. :( You could probably get them cheaper than I can offer them honestly, since individuals don't have to pay tariffs on imports(up to $2000/year).

We don't technically sell DIY kits anymore, but I can put together a set of sticks for you if you want to DIY. What type of warranty are you looking for?

Tested good OEM sticks are the most cost effective option. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We offer batteries with warranties from 1 to 5 years on complete packs. The new Chinese sticks are not cheap, especially with tariffs. :( You could probably get them cheaper than I can offer them honestly, since individuals don't have to pay tariffs on imports(up to $2000/year).

We don't technically sell DIY kits anymore, but I can put together a set of sticks for you if you want to DIY. What type of warranty are you looking for?

Tested good OEM sticks are the most cost effective option. :)
I really do not want go with the Chinese batteries directly as the quality is unknown and who do you work with if they fail in six months?

I would be looking at two or three year warranty. I want to get the car back in full IMA shape and then look to deal with the transmission. I have had two inquiries from people who are interested in buying the car from me when/if I should decide to sell it. The car has 118,500 on it due to my telecommuting so many years so just the engine alone gives it value.

I did not want to stick with 8Ah as I really never saw any benefit over four years and my town has an E-Waste center that will take them if I do the replacement work my self (which I am up to). Plus it avoids the core return and return window (took a spill off my bike last night and landed on my side hard - will not be lifting an IMA pack for at least two weeks LOL)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not thinking of going lithium swap?
Honestly I did not even know it was an option now. I recall years ago seeing a video of someone experimenting with Lithium cells but it was just an experiment. One issue I need to be concerned about is New York is a CARB state and until 2025, I am still subject to yearly emissions inspections via the OBDII port. My next inspection is due in November and I could not pass now due to the Check Engine light being on which would be in the OBDII report. Plus I do not know the rules on modifying what is essentially part of the emissions system here. I cannot even replace the 2nd catalytic converter assembly with a good EPA approved aftermarket unit because we are one of three states (CA, NY, ME - I think) that forbids it.

At this point I will see what Eli has to say about the OEM sticks he mentions and go that route. If I still have the car in 2025, then I am definitely clear on the emissions changes.

·
7,238 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems most people here just don't give a sh!t about such things. There are people selling Arduino kits to facilitate removing the IMA battery completely and fake all the appropriate signals so you have no check engine/IMA lights. For "off road use only" of course. :rolleyes: Blatantly illegal and highly unethical, IMO. Perhaps unsurprisingly, my opionion on the matter doesn't seem to win me any brownie points...

I'm all for lithium conversions though. Technically, it's a grey area because the systems aren't explicitly approved, but if you have a functional IMA system that is as good or better than the stock system, I have trouble finding issue with that. I'm hopeful that mudder's solution using 3rd generation Insight modules comes to fruition, but it's probably at least a couple of months away.

Regarding sticks... Traditionally, we've only offered short warranties on DIY kits, like 90 day non-DOA type of stuff. If you want a full warranty, I think it would be easier to just do the traditional pack swap. If I have to offer a 2 or 3 year warranty with the added uncertainty of a DIY assembly, it isn't going to save you that much money. We can waive the core charge for 30 days if that helps. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I guess I will go with a pack then. I need to get this vehicle moving while I continue to keep an eye on the used Prius c market. At this point, if I do eventually sell the car, the price will reflect the replacement pack. Should I go through your website initially or PM you for options? Currently have bypassed the IMA entirely with BCM disconnected so the car is moving again.

UPDATE: I may wait a few days. Now that the vehicle is moving around without the DC-DC issues, I need to investigate the transmission overhaul options as well. Saw a post that some parts may not be readily available. Not crazy about replacing the pack and then finding I am stuck with the transmission as-is. If I can nail down a good option for the transmission then I am all set. My car does not get state emissions inspection until November luckily.

·
7,238 Posts
Website probably easiest. :) Just let us know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts