Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the site and I have a silver 05 MT with a/c. I put in a bumblebee replacement battery two years and everything is ok but I never can get the mpg I used to after being forced to undergo the Honda software "upgrade". Any way to reload the software so auto stop comes on like it used to? The lifetime avg mpg is just above 60. Help!
John

·
Administrator
13,056 Posts
Sadly not.. No one apart from dealers has been able to flash OEM ECU's asfaik.

You would also need a copy of the earlier ROM and the Honda dealer flashing software probably won't allow a downgrade flash either.

I suspect your issue may be a more generic problem rather than an ECU one.

Does your car never autostop now? Or only under certain conditions?

Autostop only works if a long list of criteria are satisfied.
Maybe your car has a problem with one of the elements needed for autostop.

If you are 100% sure the ECU is the problem (which is unlikely IMO) then you will have to look for the ECU from a non updated wrecker.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,544 Posts
ded 13 ;Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Welcome to the Elite family.
Lots of reading her at ICN about your problem. Search is your best option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I am in the northeast US. As soon as the "upgrade" was done by the dealer, the car wouldn't autostop at intersections as quickly and the electric motor wouldn't assist as quickly. There was a woman in CA who sued Honda because she felt that they changed the software (and therefore the operating parameters of the IMA system) so the batteries would not fail under warranty. Other than that one issue, I have not had any issues since I bought it new. The car has treated me well and I will miss it when I sell in the spring due to the fact I no longer have a terrible commute.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,544 Posts
The lady drove a civic, not an Insight, and it was because she was not getting the advertised mpg, IIRR. There were two recalls on the Insight, one was emissions related (ECU), and the other was IMA issues.
Here is the article:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct Willie, she did drive a civic. Would the civic be all that different from the insight though? Wouldn't Honda use the same components? I definitely noticed right away a difference in how much/long the auto stop feature worked and I didn't drive any differently. I went from a lifetime avg of 70 to 61. Maybe it's just more city driving that is changing things. It does have 110k on it now so that might be another factor. Getting the Bumblebee battery was the last thing I did other than the usual stuff. No codes flashed once I changed the battery. Just figured I'd throw it out there about the lifetime avg falling. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It takes a very long time to drag lifetime economy down. How long ago did the change get made? If it was, say, 10,000 miles (100k to 110k) that it dropped from 70mpg to 61mpg (lifetime), you would have needed to average 26.7mpg over the last 10k to drag it down that much.

As for Civic vs Insight, the Civic's IMA system is entirely digital, whereas the Insight uses a lot of analog signaling. All of the computers are different. Given that nearly everything is different except the battery cells themselves, it would have a very hard time standing up legally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The software change was made years ago, before I put in the bumblebee battery. I noticed a difference but that is the only qualm I have ever had. It is a great machine but I'm thinking about selling it because I don't have the commute I once had and do more city driving so that probably explains the drop in MPG. Thank you everyone for all the highly technical answers. You're much more knowledgeable than I for sure.

·
Super Moderator
9,188 Posts
The mix of driving will certainly affect the mpg. If you know that there was a change in the mix about the time you noticed the mpg difference, that that is certainly the most likely explanation:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts