Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for Mike Dabrowski, but I thought that it was interesting enough for the group.
Mike has really TORN UP his BlueBird Insight and by looking at the picture about halfway down this page;

http://www.99mpg.com/ProjectCars/BlueBird1/

I noticed two rubber hoses above the oil filter and I was wondering if this was a base that could be moved to a different location by unscrewing and attaching longer hoses?

BTW Mike Thanks for posting all of the pictures of your gutted Insight. It's interesting now and will be a very valuable resource in the future. :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Very interesting photos!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Kevin Dougherty said:
I noticed two rubber hoses above the oil filter and I was wondering if this was a base that could be moved to a different location by unscrewing and attaching longer hoses?
If your talking about "The Power Plant" pic that's the oil cooler. Or oil heater if you'd prefer. In a water cooled ICE, if coolant temp and oil temp vary more than 10ishF it can develop nasty oil gunk "freezing" in the "cold" locations, ultimately causing critical oil flow problems. IIRC there's a Toyota v6 engine that this was "oopsed" on in the last 10 years or so.

This Honda "style" of cooler was first used on the 90 Accord (some models).

But to answer your question Kevin, yes IIRC there are some remote filter plates that should adapt the the Insight. The "problem" is a well protected location for the filter (road hazard) and careful routing, securing and choice of the feeder hoses.

I've got an old '86 F150 that I installed a remote oil cooler (same principal). I used teflon lined braided stainless steel hoses which are still in service after 19 years. Other type rubber hoses will require more frequent preventative replacement.

A loss of one such hose could easily do critical damage to the engine before it was noticed (loss of oil pressure).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've been planning this for a while. Transdapt kit #1158 will provide the appropriate adapter to mount to the Insight's oil filter pedestal, and lines are easily made using off the shelf AN fittings and braided stainless line.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You might think about making it a dry sump setup. I'm not sure if the cranks splash down into the oil in this car, but if they do it might save a bit of drag. Pegasus racing car parts might have what you need...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts