·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool should I carry to remove
- antenna
- rear wheel "spats"
before going thru a carwash?

and - where are the screws/fasteners for these?

i'm thinking of only going to the brushless automatic car wash,
or else do-it-yourself spray & brush.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The antenna can simply be unscrewed using your hand, and the wheel skirts can be removed by unscrewing two screws with a flat-head screw driver.

I too was curious about removing the skirts before washing the car, but i decided that it probably wouldn't cause any damage if i left them on. I went through an automatic "brush" car wash with the skirts in place and there was no harm done. The only downside though is that the rear wheels dont get very clean... :( Do so at your own risk, but i think you'll be okay.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Never subject your car to a car wash! The brushes actually scratch your paint's finish. Either hand wash or use a brushless car wash.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Gasp! Ok first I would highly suggest not using a car wash. The best of car washes are only going to be maybe 3 out of 5 stars. You either have brushes that will undoubtedly have contamination in them (ie the mud from the big truck that just went off roading after a rain storm that went through the same car wash right before you), or touchless which is a bit better is going to have to use harsh chemicals in order to break the dirt down.

So if I haven't talked you out of it, your probably better off removing the skirts. Even if there's no brush they probably spray some wheel cleaner on the wheels, and this isn't something you'd probably want getting on paint. There's actually a tool in the jack kit to remove the skirts, but it's probably easier just to have an extra stubbie screw driver in the glove box or in the rear storage well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for excellent responses
I share all these concerns.

I like the Do-it-myself carwash w/ sprays and a really foamy brush.
There's a convenient one which also has (important in New England winter) heated water.

One problem: undercarriage wash to remove winter salt only comes with the
big drive-thru machines, brushless or not - but there is a convenient brushless one.

( I noticed one poster spends time cleaning the underside, jacking it up. but he didn't
say what or how he cleans )

So I'll bring a stubby straight screwdriver ..

Unfortunately, I'm still not sure where to start looking for the screws to these "spats"
a.k.a. wheel skirts.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,876 Posts
spats

Bend over onto one knee in front of the skirt. Look straight at the skirt, you will see to things that look like screws (Large) Use a quarter from your pocket and turn the scews counter clockwise. (1/4 to 1/2 turn.) Pull down on the skirt and it is removed.

They are harder to put back on in reverse sequence.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Here is another thing to remember about using brush car washes. The bottom black trim on our Insight is nothing more than tape. Brushes will peel back the leading edge of that tape, including any other OEM decals on the car over continued washings.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FWIW, I generally pull the spats off and use a coin-op hand wash first to flush out the wheel wells and get the crud out from under the rockers, underscuttle panels front & rear, etc. Then I put the spats back on and run it through an automated, brushless high-pressure wash we have nearby. Never had an issue with the spats going through the auto wash system. (People do get a kick out of watch ing us take the silly things off & on..they're a PITA, but also, too cool!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts