Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had an idea, wanted some opinions on it:

i never, never listen to the radio...im wondering if removing the antenna will make any difference to the drag and weight of the car

i kno that it will make an almost unnoticable difference in the weight

my real question is do you think it could possibly cause more drag, somehow by distrupting the airflow?

ill probably take the antenna off tomorrow and see how it goes, but having some of your opinions would be great

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think that removing the antenna will slightly reduce aerodynamic drag. However, it will be such a slight difference that you won't be able to measure it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I concur with Guillermo and Dougie. The answer you want is, Yes, it would make an incredibly minor difference (of course it would. Every action has an equal, and opposite, reaction, remember?). And No, you can't measure it accurately (I'm sure there is a way of measuring the difference. I can't imagine civilians having access to it, however). I would just leave the thing on, or get a stubby off a Stookey... :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha...thanks guys, you guys just confirmed what i figured already...i guess ill just leave it on, lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
personally, I'm going for the stubby.....I don't like the big one on it....plus I'll be reducing the drag coefficient by .000000000000000000000000001

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bagwell said:
reducing the drag coefficient by .000000000000000000000000001
:lol: o ya...think of the increase in gas mileage...u will get an average of .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 mpg...think of how quickly that will add up...you could save a gallon or two over the course of 2748582674 years! :lol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was going to go with the S2000 antenna but ended up getting one from an Element (P/N: 39151-S6A-E02). It is stubby and smoooooth! It doesn't have the groove or "tip" that the Stookey has. 8)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Remove your front license plate.
That will improve your aerodynamics.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, but in CT we are required by law to have both plates...not that that stops some people, but i'd rather have one less reason to get pulled over, haha

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, i figured as much, figured he was jk... :lol:

lets think of other ways to virtually increase our mpg! :lol:

removing the carpet on top of the trunk space will save maybe a pound or 2 in weight!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Actually I was serious.
The license plate "traps" air at the front
of the car & introduces drag... much
more drag than a tiny antenna.

Although Insightful Trekker is correct. The impact would not be measurable on your MPG gauge. Maybe +0.1 and that's about it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ah ya, i know that it would improve the aerodynamics a little...but not enough to improve mpg significantly

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
Remove your front license plate.
That will improve your aerodynamics.
Be careful, In many states, its illegal not to have a front license plate although I do not know of any law requiring a radio antenna :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
just installed the Honda Element antenna mast yesterday $25 at local Honda dealer.

I had a little 3.5" antenna (stubbyantenna.com) but the reception was pretty bad...it was rated at 3.5 out of 5 stars....the Element antenna works great! big improvement :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually that antenna may induce more drag than you would think... cylinders have pretty high drag coefficients! It will induce almost 10 times the drag of a shaped airfoil of same cross sectional area.

Drag of Blunt Bodies and Streamlined Bodies

Not to mention the base section which will induce total flow separation afterwards across a portion of the rear windshield that will cause higher pressure drag there as well. You might drop the Cd by as much as .02 and gain .5 mpg. Not much but I drive 500 miles a week, which assuming my current average in windy hilly high ethanol fuel san diego of 45 mpg, would equate to .13 gallons of gas per week or at 4.10 per gallon, about 2 dollars per month.... lol, definitely not worth it! ;) (Love proving myself wrong)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,964 Posts
Curt;
Please include your location in your profile. AKA....Where in SD.

Nope...Forget the location......You have a G2.

Thank you.
Willie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts